Suggestions on building a pc

wizurd

Evening all :)

I've built pc's in the past (quite a few years back) and i've been having a nose around at what components are out there at the moment.

I'm looking to build one to run games and also a fair bit of IT work mainly around SQL Server.

Would welcome any comments on if the components i'm looking at are any good and also any other suggestions regarding better choices.

The box will connect to my tv for the display.

The components i've got so far are:

CPU - Intel i5 4670k socket 1150

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Socket 1150

GPU - Gigabyte GTX760 Windforce 2GB

Memory - Corsair DDR3 2400Mhz 16GB (2*8GB sticks)

CPU Cooling fan - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2

Case - Coolmaster Elite 342 Black Micro ATX including Elite 500W PSU

Optical Drives - Pioneer 8x Combo bulk drive - plays blue rays/dvd's and cd's. Can also burn dvd's and cd's

Storage - Kingston 120GB SDD

WesternDigital 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Think that's everything lol

So any ideas on if these bits are any good or not or what else you'd recommend i'd welcome.

Obviously money is an issue otherwise i'd go mad and build a monster machine. So nothing over £800 quid in total but i'd prefer cheaper

Cheers in advance

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh - yep its retail packaging. Good to know.

Out of practice with components lol

Ok can drop that then.

Will need a different case though. Well the case is ok, but want a larger psu. 500W is min recommended for the GPU

good point on the bracket.

Also how does the sdd connect? gets power from the psu and then what kind of connector? it's not just the usual sata connector is it?

To give you an idea of last time i built a pc - SATA wasn't out lol

Also how does the sdd connect? gets power from the psu and then what kind of connector? it's not just the usual sata connector is it?

SSDs are SATA unless its a mini PCIE one. So it'll connect the same as a standard hard drive.

is the 80+ the amp's

Yer i had a look at the coolermaster case and its size measurements are bigger than the card. May well just go for a larger one though

http://www.ebuyer.com/264509-ocz-zs-series-550w-80-bronze-psu-with-135mm-fan-single-ocz-zs550w-uk

I "think" it relates to its stability at holding the amps etc steady

Also how does the SSD connect? gets power from the psu and then what kind of connector? it's not just the usual sata connector is it?

standard sata power and data connectors

cheers mate, thanks for the info.

Yer just saw the 80+ - probably will get a mid atx tower. that'll still take a mAtx motherboard plus i know for sure the graphics card won't be a problem then.

So many choices though.

Want to be running some virtual machines for SQL Server 2012 and 2014, so i can play around then also be able to play some decent games on it. Find i use my phone mostly for the internet these days so the laptops getting more and more redundant

its not the actual depth of the case thats the problem with GPU's - its the internal cage for the hard drives - so you need to check the measurement between the back of the case to the edge of the cage

I'd have a look at scan computers, scan.co.uk

They do offers on fully built systems, problem I find with building your own system, especially if time has moved on a bit since your last build, is knowing/ getting up to speed on what goes with what. These guys will build a system for you with complementing components, they're definitely worth a look.