Wraping the console

oderuyter

Going to have my first bash at wrapping, starting with the centre console. I'm looking at an orange carbon-fibre wrap. However, I'm a little concerned about the curvature as the console meets the gearstick. As you have a concave on the front then a large area to cover on the sides. Is this advisable to have my first hit at wrapping on this item? Should I be worried about this curvature?

The bit around the gearstick is the easy part, its wrapping the upper centre console that will have you tearing your hair out, especially around the triple gauges.

^^^^This +1 million billion.

Here's mine. Do the door pull handles first as a practice and to teach yourself what can and can't be done with the wrap. Be interested to see what the orange carbon looks like though :)

CarbonDash_zpsa6df3e8f.jpg

• Like 2

The bit around the gearstick is the easy part, its wrapping the upper centre console that will have you tearing your hair out, especially around the triple gauges.

I dont get this, why cant you just remove the dials? I've seen this concern on the forum when searching, but surely its best to remove them and leave them out of wrapping?!

Here's mine. Do the door pull handles first as a practice and to teach yourself what can and can't be done with the wrap. Be interested to see what the orange carbon looks like though :)

That looks proper tidy!! Thanks for sharing

I will sound like a numpty saying this, but I LOVE orange and was a big factor on the car (sigh) so interior is going to have a good dose of orange inside. The bit I'm concerned about is the area to the sides low down near the knee pad. Just looks like its going to need some serious stretching. How much hair dryer action did yours have? Also, the cubby lid, did you use the inside cut or a completely separate bit, I'm concerned about pattern alignment. Also would you mind showing me some of the edges so I can see how you finished around the cubby lid & guages just looking for suggestions as first (hopefully not the last) time wrapping.

Orange FTW! Although you'd never guess I liked the colour...... ;):ninja:

Not too much stretch is required to go round the parts you've mentioned. A hairdrier will be your friend here. Doing something simple like the hand pulls will give you a good idea of how the wrap can be manipulated and how it becomes almost 'fluid' when heated. Practice really is key.

The cubby door I used a seperate larger piece and not just the piece I cut out. I placed this seperate/larger piece over the hole left by the cubby, matching the weave of the carbon, then placed the cubby (including door) back in position.

The triple gauges don't just unscrew. They're also plastic welded to the top and you literally have to break them off! :scare:

^^^^This +1 million billion.

CarbonDash_zpsa6df3e8f.jpg

looks mint wish I had the patience to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I also wrapped my in 'carbon fiber'. The hardest part is the part around the gear shift. The 3 dials are actually easily removable, just stick the soldering iron in holes where it's welded together and pry them off. When you're done, just repeat the procedure and stick them together, I didn't have any major problem.

http://i.imgur.com/FXGmHkn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2QEdc62.jpg

And the parts around the window switches

http://i.imgur.com/jNKMryq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P0LTJEv.jpg

kCW3vBl.jpg

Plastidipping is probably much simpler and there are endless color possibilities , but in my opinion the texture finish is nicer with vinyl.