House buying advice

HEADPHONES

I'm interested in buying a house but have now found that it is listed as

"A house of architectural interest."

It is only single glazed with metal framed curved bay windows which I wanted to replace with double glazed units. I have contacted a firm regarding if bespoke curved PVC units are possible and an idea of cost but they habe yet to reply.

Also I was going to convert the front garden into a drive like the other houses on the road.

Question is.

Even if the conservation officer gives my proposals the ok verbally now do you reckon I may have problems later?

Would this listed status put you off buying such a property?

Listed buildings can be more of a pain to insure than normal houses, if I get a listed building at work I have to ask questions about the property and refere it to the underwriters. Also could effect future plans when changing things. I'm not clued up on listed buildings tho.

Sounds like you are looking at an Art Deco house.

Can you be more specific about the listing status as this is likely to influence how the Local Planning Authority will view your proposed changes. But if it is "Grade II listed" it is highly unlikely you would get planning permission to use UPVC.

If you post up a link (or pm me) the property concerned and the Local Authority concerned I would be able to advise you more, although I have just retired.

Oh, and a tip. Place little reliance on verbal advice - always get it in writing if there seems to be some hope, but be aware that quite often those giving advice at the LPA are not the ones who make the decisions.

• Like 1