Budget home audio?

SamN

I agree, but there's budget and then there's false economy. My advice was aimed at saving him going through what I did, which was spunking money up the wall chasing a sound that was never going to happen.

And that said, I'm going to completely ignore my own advice and leave it with this: Pick whatever it is that sounds good to your ears. If that's a £200 soundbar then ace, if it's a £100 used AVR with some dirt cheap bookshelf speakers then even better. Ignore what everyone tells you as we all have different tastes, and go with what you like. A place like RS is good as you can test out a lot of differing combinations, and if you really can't tell the difference between a £200 setup and a £2000 one then don't pay the extra!

I did loads of testing with mine in Best Buy and Curry's before I made a decision, and it allowed me to sample a massive range of various things playing the music I like to listen to. I don't regret spending a penny of it. :)

• Like 1

It's a minefield on this topic, there are so many options. While I use HDMI cables from BR and Virgin box to the telly, this is only for picture quality, the sound is sent by FO to the amps, yep two, one for purely AV sound (specific Teufel system, very powerful over a wide range and reasonably inexpensive), the other for music (Technics (must be 15 years old now), who don't make it anymore apparently only DJ turntables) but can produce great DTS/5.1 or at a later stage 7.1.

Speaker system and AV amp are slightly over capacity, (35 m/sq), but it's important to take room size and shape into consideration. Detached living has it's advantages ;)

I have no idea on the whole, but research is the best thing, try some AV forums, good info there B)

• Like 1