Shocking MPG! Help!

dave572

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I finally did a long run in the zed from Glasgow to Oxford and achieved 10.8km/l which equates to 30.5 UK mpg. This was leaving my throttle controller on EC5 most of the time and switching back to normal mode.

The surprising this is that I wasn't going slow either, varying between 70-90, then of course slowing down for those annoying variable speed limit sections.

But I noticed that there is definitely something wrong with the differential because it was whining quite alot, so I will need to look into that when I get back home.

Miles achieved from filling the tank (not to the absolute brim) and down to the fuel light coming on was between 395-400 miles, i apologise for not having the exact figure. I have an import so I guess it is the 60 litre tank.

When I get back home I shall fill the tank again and report on my town driving, as my suspect 'heavy foot' is leading me to the filling station more often :o.

Edited by dave572

Its a known phenomenon that there is a transmission whine at just below 80mph, there was a brief discussion about it here a while ago.

If the whine is related to road speed then it may help to know my rear wheel bearings also whined when they needed replacing, whereas the fronts did the normal grumble/rumble. Its probably too noisy in the rear to hear the rumbling of wheel bearings on the way out. Its going to be cheaper to fix if its a wheel bearing :)

If it really is the diff then IMO change the oil for some genuine Nissan and add some molyslip and live with it. Buy a louder amp :)

Edited by Toon Chris