Winter Tyres

nixy

My home to work used to take me an hour but was very flat so driving with care snow etc never bothered me. My home to work is now ten minutes.............up a great big stonking hill that even front wheel drive traffic struggles with in snow. I also own a Renault Clio diesel which I bought to save money on the long commute and kept to survive through winter on the now short commute! However, the cost of running two cars is becoming a pain. This month both cars needed taxing, the clio conked out and needed an alternator, the clio also needs an MOT and new brake discs. It's getting a bit daft maintaining two cars and I'm starting to wonder whether I would be better off with winter tyres instead of a second car but I really have no idea whether they are as good as people say! Anyone have any experience?

They are very good but quite expensive and you really need another set of rims for them. I am pretty sure a cheap FWD car will be better on 'normal' tyres than a Zed is even on winters but that is just my opinion not based on any facts or figures... the other things to consider is that having a 2nd car will protect your Zed from other drivers too...

Edited by spursmaddave

Some people who do use winter tyres rave about them but I've never used them on any of my cars so can't really comment on there effectiveness although from what I understand the different rubber compound & tyre tread cut do make a significant difference over "summer tyres" when driving in cold/icy/snowy conditions. eg; stopping distances reduced/grip levels increased etc.

Also I do hear good things about those "snow socks" as a last resort if you get stuck in snow or have trouble getting traction from your tyres on ice so for £30-£50 there probably a wise investment for us RWD owners just to keep in the car for winter.

http://www.350z-uk.c..._ winter tires

If I had more cash though I'd definitely have a spare set of alloys set up with winter tyres for the Zed in winter. ;)

Edited by GMballistic

There is something relaxing about having a banger in winter and not worrying about the weather!

I am lucky as my communte is all main motorways, no need for a 2nd car as if they are not cleared there is absolutely no point going in to work as nobody will be there :lol:

To be completely honest you will probably spend as much on winters as you would on an old banger, ok you have to tax and insure it etc but you have the peace of mind that if some fool ploughs into the side of you then it isn't your pride and joy :surrender:

They are very good but quite expensive and you really need another set of rims for them. I am pretty sure a cheap FWD car will be better on 'normal' tyres than a Zed is even on winters but that is just my opinion not based on any facts or figures... the other things to consider is that having a 2nd car will protect your Zed from other drivers too...

Disagree. How does fwd car stops any faster in the snow or ice? People bang on about oh well someone will crash into you. So I'll buy an unrelaible banger so If I crash into anything or ANYONE it doesn't matter. Circle of destruction!

Winter tyres are much much much better than summers. No ass clenching no worries, no 1mph driving and skidding into a curb. Worth it IMO and even on a shed I'd buy winter tyres quicker. Got some for someone I know. Goodyear Ultragrip 7's I think they are for £180 for 4 tyres. Brand new.

• Like 1

Who said anything about crashing into other people :wacko: I said i if I had to I would rather drive an old banger in the snow than my pride and joy as even if i have winters on and drive carefully someone else can slide into me not so I don't care who I hit :lol:

The question was buy another banger or spend the same sort of cash on winter tyres, there are pros and cons for both I reckon...

Sent from the golf club...

Who said anything about crashing into other people :wacko: I said i if I had to I would rather drive an old banger in the snow than my pride and joy as even if i have winters on and drive carefully someone else can slide into me not so I don't care who I hit :lol:

The question was buy another banger or spend the same sort of cash on winter tyres, there are pros and cons for both I reckon...

Not you others :lol:. But I haven't seen a thread like someone slid into me. IMO if you live somewhere that gets cold, snowy, icey and wet. If its a shed or not put winter tyres on IMO.

I don't worry about needing winter tyres personally , I know I can drive to the conditions , being able to stop quicker than the car behind is not always a good thing.

I know they can be of benefit , I used to live in Canada but I'm not convinced they are of benefit over here as if the roads really get bad enough to need them then everywhere is closed anyhow and the hills get blocked with stuck 44t trucks.

I'd run the winter car and keep the zed tucked up myself

Not you others :lol:. But I haven't seen a thread like someone slid into me. IMO if you live somewhere that gets cold, snowy, icey and wet. If its a shed or not put winter tyres on IMO.

Yeah depends on the location, like I said my commute is A2 & M25 and I work in logistics so if those 2 roads need winter tyres then the whole of the SE is going to be at a standstill :lol:

Yeah depends on the location, like I said my commute is A2 & M25 and I work in logistics so if those 2 roads need winter tyres then the whole of the SE is going to be at a standstill :lol:

Do you mean the a2 between Canterbury and Dover? Need to start keeping an eye out for you, that's my neck of the woods :)

I go Deal to Canterbury (Sturry) every day, see a few zed's but nobody waves back =[

Edited by Jake4136

Oh it all makes sense now, I drive a gunmetal 2004 GT, it's away for the winter now but will be back out come march/April time :)

Well I expect to see frantic waving from whatever it is your driving over the winter :lol:

And to the OP if you have a spare set of wheels laying around then I would say go for winter tyres, I'v only had mine on a few days so can't say yet whether I rate them or not. I don't know how old you are but for me £400-500 on winter tyres is cheaper than even the insurance on a second car. Also once the tyres are purchased they will last 3/4/5 years? with no additional cost apart from running the zed.

That's just my 2 cents and I'm sure others will disagree, but I hope it helps with your decision :)

Jake

Tyre sox on a Z..... Ahhhhh hahahahahahaha.... Sorry, pointless...

No better value in snow than a three hundred quid Ka, you will pay more than that for tyres and your pride and joy still gets messed up if theres a shunt... Oh and the heater works a treat...

Tyre sox on a Z..... Ahhhhh hahahahahahaha.... Sorry, pointless...

No better value in snow than a three hundred quid Ka, you will pay more than that for tyres and your pride and joy still gets messed up if theres a shunt... Oh and the heater works a treat...

Yes but you get to insure and drive around in a Ka :yuck:

• Like 1