Engine Tapping

liamgdr

Hi guys im new to the forum, I just bought a zed on saturday, until yesterday it was running great, not a problem.

However yesterday when I pulled onto my drive I noticed a fast tick coming from the engine bay, at first it sounded like it was something to do with the a/c because you can hear it better in the cabin than outside the car, but I had a look again this morning and it seems to be coming from the top of the engine.

I took a pic of where it was coming from and also got a video.

post-20566-0-23410000-1385470496_thumb.jpg

I've had a look at the oil and its the right level and is a dark syrup looking colour, basically like its from the bottle.

Any ideas what it could be, I just want to get out in the car but don't want to do any damage.

Cheers, Liam.

Welcome along! :wave:

Could be the fuel dampners there are 2 behind the plenum(intake) will look like brass mushrooms. If yiu start the car put a screw driver on it then put your ear to the screw driver. You will hear it if it's that :)

Edited by peteman35
  • Like 1

Welcome along! :wave:

Could be the fuel dampners there are 2 behind the plenum(intake) will look like brass mushrooms. If yiu start the car put a screw driver on it then put your ear to the screw driver. You will hear it if it's that :)

Cheers mate, ill go have a look now.

Just had a look, is there two fuel dampners?

I found something that looked like a brass mushroom directly under the air intake to the engine and an other to the left of the engine ( a lot more visible ).

Both made fast ticks when i listened to them through a screwdriver, but the sound does appear to be coming from underneath the air intake.

Is this a common problem?

Cheers.

Just had a look, is there two fuel dampners?

Cheers.

sorry just re-read peteman35's reply, as both fuel dampners make the same sound im guessing they both cant be faulty?

Looks like 'Im going to have to get it to a garage at weekend.

Any decent places near stockport/manchester.

Had a listen through a stethoscope today, the fuel dampener on the left makes a high pitch quiet tick the other one makes a lower frequency knocking, the same sound I can hear when in the cabin, so I appear to have found the fault :teeth:.

The only problem I have now is fitting the dampener, is it easy? Looks like it should be, wheres the best place on the internet for nissan parts?

Cheers, Liam.

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted the new fuel damper, unfortunately the ticking is still there.

Rechecked the oil, it looks good, but when I rub it on a metal surface with my finger I can feel very small pieces of grit, too small to see.

The oil was only changed it the last 2000 miles, so isn't old.

I'm going to replace the oil this weekend, I'm going to get either motul or Fuchs, but is it worth running some cheap supermarket oil through the engine for 30-40 miles first to remove the crap before I put the good oil in?

Cheers, Liam.

I think that will be the plan for next weekend, can the clearances be adjusted?

However I had the car looked at today by a mechanic and he wasn't bothered by the noise, said it was pretty normal cam chain noise, so im not sure where to take it from here.

If this is just a general noise from the cam chain, lifters, other moving parts etc, could swapping the oil for something thicker make the engine quieter?

From what I have read 5w30 is best for cold starts, but I only use my car on weekends and wouldn't mind spending time warming the engine up.

If this is just a general noise from the cam chain, lifters, other moving parts etc, could swapping the oil for something thicker make the engine quieter?

From what I have read 5w30 is best for cold starts, but I only use my car on weekends and wouldn't mind spending time warming the engine up.

You shouldn't be putting anything else other that 5w30 in it!