Engine Tapping

liamgdr

If this is just a general noise from the cam chain, lifters, other moving parts etc, could swapping the oil for something thicker make the engine quieter?

From what I have read 5w30 is best for cold starts, but I only use my car on weekends and wouldn't mind spending time warming the engine up.

You shouldn't be putting anything else other that 5w30 in it!

why? 5w40 is fine. Also the revup guys who have oil issues use slightly thicker oil.

why... because it's not the correct oil for the engine. I cannot comment on the revup engine and what owners do to overcome their oil 'issues' as mine is not. Just wondering if the OP's is a revup and they know what oil is in the car at the moment?

Always a good start to know what fluids you have

why... because it's not the correct oil for the engine. I cannot comment on the revup engine and what owners do to overcome their oil 'issues' as mine is not. Just wondering if the OP's is a revup and they know what oil is in the car at the moment?

Tell me where it isn't the right oil?

Tell me where it isn't the right oil?

I'm not going to argue the toss. You have your opinion, I have mine.

You have your opinion and I have fact. :lol:

without going :offtopic:, there are plenty of specific oil threads recommending 5w30. For that reason and for the reason I do not have oil issues, I would not put anything else in. I believe that if you have a revup model, you should just accept the oil loss as a trait of the car and top up accordingly. That's my opinion.

Bringing it back on topic now (and coming away from the Dblock shlong measuring competition), I would say that the OP needs to get some seperate opinions on the tapping, perhaps from a few different garages. By putting a thicker oil in, you are not curing the problem.

My car has just hit 90k, doesn't lose a drop between services (maybe that's because I only do 4k a year). It also is a very quiet engine without any suspect tapping. My advice would be to follow Alex's advice and check valve clearances and wear on the cam lobes. Changing the cams is a pretty hefty job, but cross that bridge if needed.

Good luck and let us all know how you get one :teeth:

Taken directly from a manual, nothing wrong with using a slightly thicker oil, 5W30 is usually specified for easier cold starting and emission's and economy, but not a great when ambient temps go into the 30C.

However going one grade thicker IE w30 to w40 is not going to make a big difference to making the engine a lot quieter, and if the problem is down to mechanical wear in things like cam/lifters it really wont make any odds.

Capture-19.png

• Like 1

Ill do what alex said this weekend.

When removing the cover is it as easy as removing the bolts around the outer edges and pulling it off or is there more to it.

Would worn cam lobes mean a new cam shaft needed?

Finally does anyone know what the valve clearances should be?

I've never done any work like this on a car so feel way in over my head but ive got to learn it somehow :blush:

Removing the cam coverer's is pretty straight forward, once you remove the plenum, as for clearances its probably best to download the manual then you will get more of an idea of how things go together.

Whether you need new cams or just a re-shim will depend on what you find, if its been left for an extended mileage with over large cam to follower clearances it can wear the cam lobes prematurely, but its really a case of look and see.

You have your opinion and I have fact. :lol:

without going :offtopic:, there are plenty of specific oil threads recommending 5w30. For that reason and for the reason I do not have oil issues, I would not put anything else in. I believe that if you have a revup model, you should just accept the oil loss as a trait of the car and top up accordingly. That's my opinion.

Bringing it back on topic now (and coming away from the Dblock shlong measuring competition), I would say that the OP needs to get some seperate opinions on the tapping, perhaps from a few different garages. By putting a thicker oil in, you are not curing the problem.

My car has just hit 90k, doesn't lose a drop between services (maybe that's because I only do 4k a year). It also is a very quiet engine without any suspect tapping. My advice would be to follow Alex's advice and check valve clearances and wear on the cam lobes. Changing the cams is a pretty hefty job, but cross that bridge if needed.

Good luck and let us all know how you get one :teeth:

Schlocg measuring? I don't know why you can't accept what I'm saying. Read the post directly below yours. You tell me like I'm new to these cars lol.