To buy Jap, or buy UK?

ostego

Nothing wrong with a jdm...... Apart from the indicator and wiper stalks being the other way round.... It's actually driving me crazy lately��

I drive an Auto JDM and have no issues with it. Parts & service not an issue but having only 1 key could be. If you get a JDM might be worth ask if it has 2 keys as it's a pain to sort out later

Loving the JDM owners trying to justify their purchase.... (If I was on the laptop I would put the 'Stir' smiley now ;) )

Errr, yeah. It is the same car but was cheaper. /justification

Surely you only need to justify spending more money, rather than less? :headhurt:

Loving the JDM owners trying to justify their purchase.... (If I was on the laptop I would put the 'Stir' smiley now ;) )

Errr, yeah. It is the same car but was cheaper. /justification

Surely you only need to justify spending more money, rather than less? :headhurt:

so to round up....your actually saying that JDMs are cheaper. ;)

only winding you up....as long as each of us is happy, who cares :D

Edited by aidan

JDM's are cheaper because of this exact conversation.

Except 90% of the people that buy them don't have this conversation......they just suck air through their teeth and say 'mate I can't meet what you asking.....it's an import see. No one wants em these days' (preferably with a cockney accent)

Remember that jdm's don't come with underseal from the factory so make sure for underbody corrosion.

Just take care with what your buying look around, you may find a jdm in much better condition than a uk so don't rule them out. I drive a JDM zed and mine has brembos. Standard leather and Bose stereo so is practically the same as a gt minus the cruise control.

JDM's are cheaper because of this exact conversation.

Couldnt be any further from the truth ;) do an advanced search on ebay and see what has sold and for what, not just what people are advertising them for ;)

The UK cars on eBay are pretty poor usually so thats why the sale prices are similar.

JDM's are 100% cheaper, just go on Tradelinks website and you will see. This is a guy makes a living out of selling Z's.

When did you last buy a Zed?

Never

Yet I (and the rest of the car buying world) know that an import will usually always sell cheaper than UK because of the general publics misplaced fear of 'grey history' and massively different insurance costs.

The cars are 'worth less' only by virtue of the buying publics phobia of them........bottom line is that if you give Joe Average a choice of 6.5k JDM or an identically spec'd UK for 7k and he'll buy the UK car.

• Like 1

massively different insurance costs.

The cars are 'worth less' only by virtue of the buying publics phobia of them

It would seem with those two statements you are only perpetuating myths you read on the web.

I bought a zed not 6 months ago, i viewed many, jdm and uk cars, from ebay, gumtree, autotrader, pistonheads etc and from very real first hand very recent experience i can tell you, hand on heart, there is not a lot of difference between price and quality of either cars and insurance is a few quid here or there either way.

It would seem with those two statements you are only perpetuating myths you read on the web.

I bought a zed not 6 months ago, i viewed many, jdm and uk cars, from ebay, gumtree, autotrader, pistonheads etc and from very real first hand very recent experience i can tell you, hand on heart, there is not a lot of difference between price and quality of either cars and insurance is a few quid here or there either way.

Just did a quote £300 for my UK, £540 for Import.

Not hating on JDM's as I said earlier on in this post its swings and round abouts as you buy cheap then sell cheap.

Edited by 350Ad

Not hating on JDM's as I said earlier on in this post its swings and round abouts as you buy cheap then sell cheap.

What you mean comparison sites didnt like imports, shock & horror :lol:

I am presuming you havent bought a Zed recently either, may have been the case a few years ago but it wasnt as of 6 months ago ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

Previous cars

WRX scobby JDM - cheaper to buy than the UK equivalent that I later traded it for even though better specced.

Skyline GTR JDM - just couldn't afford one of the few official imported UK cars.

Evo8 UK - rather than buy a cheaper import, wanted a slightly higher costing UK car as come resale, easier to sell on.

Pajero or Shogun. Went for the more expensive Shogun as come resale time it was still worth more than an import. So much so that many prospective buyers actual asked was it a rebadged Pajero or a UK Shogun.

Insurance for imports was more expensive, and most times required phoning around.

Unfortunately (and wrongly) - pencil pushers assume as the car is an import , then parts are harder to get.

Example 1 - The Evo8?? First question from insurers was is it a UK car.

Example 2 - WRX had major damage due to other party (a digger , dont ask!!!). The insurance assessor want to right it off until I stated that it was basically a UK wagon. After some ringing around - the agreed that an independent could repair it.

Example 3 - GTR had minor damage (my fault this time). Written off as assessor quoted cost / time involved in repairs, even though many items could have been sourced in UK.

As others have said, imports generally are cheaper to buy in UK (not by much though) and in general they are more to insure.

But each to their own I guess.

:)

Edited by aidan

It would seem you are selectively quoting what I've said to reinforce your point and to patronise me. That will not end well.

I haven't perpetuated anything. I clearly said 'the general publics misplaced fear...... ' - nothing to do with my own opinion.

But if you want my opinion I'll give it - I would never pay the same for an import as I would UK car. You know why.......because when I sell it I'll have to deal with the very same problem. Nothing to do with the myths that are attached to them.

I can tell you after 3 years of these endless pissing threads and watching literally 100's of cars change hands.......Imports enlarge sell for less. Period. The fact you paid full whack for one is the exception to the 'enlarge' that I've caveated that statement with.

The fact is that MOST people who buy cars are ill informed about the so called foibles of an import and as such will not buy or will pay less for an import. It's no coincidence that 10 of the 15 lowest priced zed's in the country on autotrader are imports.

• Like 1

It would seem you are selectively quoting what I've said to reinforce your point and to patronise me. That will not end well.

I haven't perpetuated anything. I clearly said 'the general publics misplaced fear...... ' - nothing to do with my own opinion.

But if you want my opinion I'll give it - I would never pay the same for an import as I would UK car. You know why.......because when I sell it I'll have to deal with the very same problem. Nothing to do with the myths that are attached to them.

I can tell you after 3 years of these endless pissing threads and watching literally 100's of cars change hands.......Imports enlarge sell for less. Period. The fact you paid full whack for one is the exception to the 'enlarge' that I've caveated that statement with.

The fact is that MOST people who buy cars are ill informed about the so called foibles of an import and as such will not buy or will pay less for an import. It's no coincidence that 10 of the 15 lowest priced zed's in the country on autotrader are imports.

Firstly i would hope the, it will not end well, is not some kind of threat?

I have tried to keep opinion far from this and just tried to present the topic with facts, which just support my recent findings. I am not talking about 3, 2 or 1 years worth ago, i am talking about now, recent times from first hand experience of buying and looking at a fair few zeds. The insurance topic has been well discussed and most peoples findings are not as you say, massively different, as long as a decent insurer is contacted.

I will not disagree, imports can and will be found cheaper than uk, but, spec on those is usually far lower than uk, no brembos, poor alloys.

I would also suggest the public doesnt have a misplaced fear or there would simply be no import market, but that is personal opinion of course.

I have no idea why you think i paid full whack for my jdm when you have no idea what i paid, personally i thought it was a positive bargain with mileage, spec, history and extras :)

Firstly i would hope the, it will not end well, is not some kind of threat?

I have tried to keep opinion far from this and just tried to present the topic with facts, which just support my recent findings. I am not talking about 3, 2 or 1 years worth ago, i am talking about now, recent times from first hand experience of buying and looking at a fair few zeds. The insurance topic has been well discussed and most peoples findings are not as you say, massively different, as long as a decent insurer is contacted.

I will not disagree, imports can and will be found cheaper than uk, but, spec on those is usually far lower than uk, no brembos, poor alloys.

I would also suggest the public doesnt have a misplaced fear or there would simply be no import market, but that is personal opinion of course.

I have no idea why you think i paid full whack for my jdm when you have no idea what i paid, personally i thought it was a positive bargain with mileage, spec, history and extras :)

Threat? :lol: only if you fancy hiding behind a keyboard. I'll be behind mine.

I doubt were gonna agree on this so perhaps it's best left but I wills say this fella.......... the public in general are thick, dull as dishwater. They want to be scared of everything. They love reading about the horrors of everything and they fall in line like the sheep that they are. You can't possibly say they don't have misconceptions when your own words said that this is the 2nd thread of this type this week alone.

I mean you got a bargain.......@*!# hot negotiation? Or perhaps because it was a JDM and the guy was finding it hard to shift.

Buy on condition and then spec. I'd go for a mint low spec 350 than a dog uk spec. Why because it would fit my needs. Other people want the toys etc.

Imports are generally lower specced hence the price but they aren't worse cars. The ST's still fetch good money.

Mine was cheaper to insure a JDM so they can't always be more. I think insurance is a lottery now anyway..

Good point on the radio, sat nav, insurance and grey history aspect! Think it was imported with 20k miles on it, so that is half of it's mileage spent in a foreign land!

In reality the main pull i've had to this JDM is that it already has front & rear bumper mods, as well as skirts, exhaust and some nice alloys, so it would cut the amount of work i'd need to get done on it to the spoiler and the interior + gadgets.

I have been toying with the idea of spending £6.5-7k on a standard UK GT model, since there seems to be a lack of already kitted 350z's out there with reasonable mileage.... and then getting all this work done myself, but from what i can tell getting a aftermarket kit will set me back around £500-700, with about £800-1500 to fit it depending on the difficulty and paintwork needed, so that approach does seem to be more costly at the moment. May just be a case of waiting for a bit to see if a pre-made UK GT comes up!

Insurance is fractions more if at all, hardly worth worrying about.

So much talk on here about jdms being difficult to shift, yet every week (almost) someone asks about buying a jdm (two this week inc yours), check the classifieds for what have sold and what havent, you can do an advanced search on ebay to see what has actually sold and for how much, advanced on search options to left of ebay search bar.

Stereo, most people replace the Bose for double din so that renders the sat nav point mute.

The only thing i would ever be wanting is Brembos (which you can get on some jdm), dont be put off by jdms, buy the car which is in the best condition and suits your requirements best for the money you have, you will have no trouble selling a jdm :)

Well said. My advice would be to ignore the UK or JDM issue completely! Buy the best car you can afford for the money with the best spec and the best history. I imported my car direct from Japan seven years ago with £2k miles on the clock. It was version S which is 'sport' which meant it had brembos and cloth seats. It was immaculate and clearly someones weekend car. I had all the SVA stuff done, undersealed, foglight conversion (properly not bolt on) and had the seats changed to black leather with orange trim which look fantastic. After all that I still saved a packet over buying in the UK at the time. The cars are ALL THE SAME bar spec items. However, they are ten a penny in auction in Japan due to their crazy 3 year ownership laws so the market gets flooded with three year old cars. For an 'older' car I am certain that my car is probably one of the best looked after examples there is and would be head and shoulders above a lot of cars in it's price range UK or JDM. Just look for the best example you can find with the spec you want and don't worry.