Fitting Nismo Gear Knob

Grundy

Hey guys,

I've read through a very good guide that someone link me on the forum, will either attempt this tonight or on the weekend...

Just wanted to see if anyone has done this job with Mole grips? And is it a Tricky job or a quick 10minute job?

Cheers

Matt

Some people (including me) find/found the bond on the standard gear knob difficult to break.

Others have been able to remove the standard gear knob by hand.

As per the guide be sure to grip the shaft when turning the gear knob so you don't damage the transmission

Yeah the one on it at the moment is worn away and twists quite freely, I still imagine I need to get under the gaiter to finish the job...

Piece of cake. Just use your hands and unscrew anticlockwise. It a fine thread so take a while to unscrew but its as easy a job as your likely to do on the zed. Nismo is just opposite. :thumbs:

You can do damage to the gearbox linkage doing it as simply as that.

You must use grips to hold the shaft in place.

Wrap gear stick in towel

Grup with pliers or mole grips

Unscrew the gear knob whilst using some pressure on the mole rips to counter act any torque you are putting onto the shaft.

Reverse the procedure when putting on new one and tightening it.

• Like 1

However I strongly suggest you dont grip the gear knob of a 370 like I did when I went to change Sparkies back last year.

Unlike the 350 which is a heavy solid lump, the 370 is light and hollow and held on with thread lock.

The swan necks crushed it like plastic.

Nasty horrid thing.

:blush:

Edited by 4RE Leather

Piece of cake. Just use your hands and unscrew anticlockwise. It a fine thread so take a while to unscrew but its as easy a job as your likely to do on the zed. Nismo is just opposite. :thumbs:

You can do damage to the gearbox linkage doing it as simply as that.

You must use grips to hold the shaft in place.

Wrap gear stick in towel

Grup with pliers or mole grips

Unscrew the gear knob whilst using some pressure on the mole rips to counter act any torque you are putting onto the shaft.

Reverse the procedure when putting on new one and tightening it.

Awesome that's what I was after, I'll do this job on the weekend then, along with removing the Number plate holder :)

Maybe mine had been off before. The OEM didn't rattle or anything but the was only a light/consistent resistance from start to Finnish, definately not tight enough to do any damage. I have had to use mole grips in the past but not the zeds

Maybe mine had been off before. The OEM didn't rattle or anything but the was only a light/consistent resistance from start to Finnish, definately not tight enough to do any damage. I have had to use mole grips in the past but not the zeds

OEM isn't designed to rattle!!!!

I said that if you leave the collar on and put the Nismo on the Nismo will rattle!!!!

OEM isn't designed to rattle!!!!

I said that if you leave the collar on and put the Nismo on the Nismo will rattle!!!!

Yep I realise what you said! I was simply stating that mine didn't rattle or vibrate or feel loose to hand even though it seems it was a loose fit going by what most are saying.