BHP 350z with breathing mods & nitros

Kerry

Hi guys hope you can help answer some questions I've got, playing with the idea a swapping up my civic type r for a 350z and I was wondering what sort of bhp can you make with breathing mods such as air intake, plenum, headers, de cat, exhaust and a map? Would 320 be about right? Is it worth getting the later model with the uprated engine? Is it as tuneable and parts as available?

If I did change to a z I would like a bit more power but a turbo conversion will be out of my price range so nitros could be an answer do you guys know what sort of size shot would be suitable and safe for a daily driver and what sort of bhp have other 350z made with nos?

Nitrous will cost about the same as a supercharger and alot more hassle. Cost me thousands to get it running right. An aftermarket ecu is required to make it run "correctly"

A pre 2006 will barely scrape 300bhp with the above mods. A post 2006 will make slightly more, a post 2007 will make about 315-330ish.

Be prepared for big bills for these mods etc. the zed isn't a cheap car to do this to

• 1 month later...

I've had nitrous on a few cars and bike , used to have my own filling station and fit kits for others as well

Things can get more difficult above a 50hp hit but I found nothing touches nitrous on the bang for buck scale

A good set up should cost less that £1k but insurers really don't like it nowadays

I've had nitrous on a few cars and bike , used to have my own filling station and fit kits for others as well

Things can get more difficult above a 50hp hit but I found nothing touches nitrous on the bang for buck scale

A good set up should cost less that £1k but insurers really don't like it nowadays

Adrian Flux was the only insurance company that would insure me when I had NOS.

I think they are one of the only companies that will still do it

A divers bottle in the car is much more risky IMO as its 4200 psi instead of 900psi and my insurers are fine with that bit of a joke worrying about a bottle of nitrous when its sat in a car containing a 10+ gallons of highly flammable liquid

I think they are one of the only companies that will still do it

A divers bottle in the car is much more risky IMO as its 4200 psi instead of 900psi and my insurers are fine with that bit of a joke worrying about a bottle of nitrous when its sat in a car containing a 10+ gallons of highly flammable liquid

That true :lol:

Ye... insurance companies don't see it that way. Its a mod from OEM, Invalidates warranties, and there is a bottle of gas fixed in the cabin of the car. Have to say I have not heard of a bottle ever going bang and a guy who worked for me before use to fit systems and loved them. However I accept that on top of a standard car or modified car it is a further risk, which the insurance just don't like. I would go supercharger over Nitrous :thumbs:

Edited by R35LEE

The only bottle I ever heard of failing was where the owner had removed the burst disc (safety valve) and fitted a pressure gauge in its place , a faulty bottle heater resulted in him losing his car and most of his garage !

I've seen a few burst discs go though , that's quite dramatic but harmless apart from the underwear change :)

Ahh found a pic of the car whose bottle exploded !

4be947482a5642005ee83c0d5e1c82da_zps9d396b6d.jpg

Edited by Richf

Well if the NOS don't get me then the water/Meth or the 80l fuel tank will :lol:

As Neil said NOS aint cheap to do it right, you can just bang a 50 or 75 shot in for giggles but you won't do the engine any favors without the extra bits.

If it's cheap power you want I would say look at other cars.

Of course if its power and Class -

POWER -

504bhp.jpg

For EXTRA Class add Green Paint

IMG_3756.jpg

Trans350z_zps7146aa7e.jpg

Edited by Keyser

Very nice Keyser, love the green and black , my daily drive has a similar colour scheme

A graph of one of my old bikes , with and without a small nos kit

dyno3.jpg

This is one of the R.I.P.S cars , graphically shows the impact of nitrous on spool

hytechsdynolj6.jpg

This is one of my old customers cars , this is how it looks when you flat line a dyno :)

navnos2.jpg

Not hugely impressive but it was on this

P1010208.jpg

Managed to get a 1700kilo plus grandad car into the 13's :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my nos running, using a maximizer 4 from nitrous express, got a 75 bhp gain on my Hr, use the top and my wife band afr to run the gas, kicks in at 3000 rpm with 20% gas, climbs to 80% at 6750 rpm, pulls like a steam train, overall I'm happy as pie, gas is not cheap to set up right, but it gives such a nice gain across the board dehetama.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Got my nos running, using a maximizer 4 from nitrous express, got a 75 bhp gain on my Hr, use the top and my wife band afr to run the gas, kicks in at 3000 rpm with 20% gas, climbs to 80% at 6750 rpm, pulls like a steam train, overall I'm happy as pie, gas is not cheap to set up right, but it gives such a nice gain across the board dehetama.jpg

this is what I use! What jets are you using? How much timing retarding are u using? Who mapped it in for you?

Cheers

Edited by Neilp

• 2 months later...

Hey neilp I'm. Not 100% what size jets I have, as we drilled the ones that came in the kit. But power gain is roughly 75 I can get more if I up the final ‰ on my maximizer. Car is pulling so well, I tuned it myself with uprev pro tuner, but for the gas just mapped it using the maximizer software, have the afr around 11.5 ish across the board. To give u an idea I ran against a 370 Z the other day at odi track here in sa. We pulled away together by the 400 metres I was a good 7-8 cars ahead of him it was murder

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I have now run 13 bottles of gas through my motor, car is running better and better.

I went today on a breakfast run to an old motorway here near Pretoria.

Had two really good runs, one with an Amg c 63, from a standing start I got ahead and stayed ahead until we backed of well into fourth, had a rolling run and won again by around two cars.

Then had two rolling runs with a BMW m3 v8 - both runs I started pulling away in third , and I'd say the gap was over two cars when we backed of.

All in all I now have the maximized coming in at 30% at 3450 rpm and at 5000 rpm I'm at 80 % of my max till 6950 rpm.

Car is hauling big time and the afr is a constant 11.7

Just FYI, it was a disused hi way that we had runs on.

Edited by wls350

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update.

I have now run 13 bottles of gas through my motor, car is running better and better.

I went today on a breakfast run to an old motorway here near Pretoria.

Had two really good runs, one with an Amg c 63, from a standing start I got ahead and stayed ahead until we backed of well into fourth, had a rolling run and won again by around two cars.

Then had two rolling runs with a BMW m3 v8 - both runs I started pulling away in third , and I'd say the gap was over two cars when we backed of.

All in all I now have the maximized coming in at 30% at 3450 rpm and at 5000 rpm I'm at 80 % of my max till 6950 rpm.

Car is hauling big time and the afr is a constant 11.7

Just FYI, it was a disused hi way that we had runs on.

What other supporting mods are you running?

HI

Ok i have now redone my jets

im running the following mods.

Uprev - custom map

Nitrous Express Maximize 4 (best thing i have purchased yet)

Custom exhaust

intake ect.

http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm

Current jet sizes are

Nos jets are .0036

Fuel jets are .0021

This is now a 100 bhp at the wheels kit roughly and a Mountain of torque.

PS my old jets were 50 shot BHp total.

When the bottle pressure is right my car just pulls so cleanly and gets up to the rev limit like you won believe.

Have since had a run with A V10 M5 and walked him.