Is a 300zx a whole lotta car for not alot of money ?

Sempiternal

I remember it well.

In regards to bullet proof. Most of the cars thatbhave not been looked after are over 20 years old now. They've managed 20 years and over 100,000 miles with no/bad servicing habits and being generally abused. I'd say that's pretty bulletproof lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

again thats my point i hold Jdm in such high esteem.. apart from ebay theres a few Jap car auctions i frequent... and at times its like a kid being in a Candy shop.. GTR's S15's DC2 DC5 Teggys

But damn Hollowpoint the car in your sig is Seggsual lol -(dont ask lol) also dare i say it would make a great poser car ;)

Edited by Sempiternal

I too have been down the 300zxTT route and it cost me an arm and two legs! I would not have another. My son has one which is abosolutely fabulous and goes like poo off a teflon shovel. It was far faster than my 350 and all the local scoobys. However it's usually in the workshop more than it's out on the road.

If you were to still consider one I would be looking at the 300ZX N/A as it's far more reliable and only slightly down on performance with the TT. If you want to be really cool I think RSJ on here still has his n/a convertible for sale and that is a car very well known in the Z community. Well worth considering as being a rag top it will appreciate in value more quickly.

Take note of what Hollowpoint has said. If we haven't talked you out of it be very very careful and go to buy with someone who knows about them. Bear in mind you can pick them up for between £1k and £9k and that spending a lot of money doesn't buy you out of trouble.

If you are looking for something more of a classic then try a 280ZX or a 300zx Z31. These will be the next Datsun/Nissan classics. Although appreciating in price the Z32 is still at the back of the queue.

Loved my 300 but IMHO that's a lot of money, you could pay less and still get a good one but it would need patience.

Personally I would have a look at 300zx.co.uk it used to be a good site but not used it for some time.

Mine cost me some money but that's because the turbos went and I upgraded them and had a good case of Zeditis!

Edited by Yampiedog

I also think 90's turbo cars are cool/hipster atm.

Old school crazy boosted, 90's cars rock.

This is what I practised drawing on the pack of cereal boxes copying from my new deck of Top Trumps.

SRS my favourite card was the 300ZX, I can still remember the picture and the only way to beat the Testarossa was height.

• 1 month later...

Just to revive this a little and add my own experience. I brought my z32 at 23 I was itching to get 300hp on tap. Within a month I blew the engine. Tbh though that was inevitable, the previous owner had spent the cash on a respray but bodged/neglected the rest. The engine oil cooler wasn't even hooked up, the dip stick for the box and engine was in the wrong holes... Not surprising it was a nightmare under there.

Since that aside from a blown turbo, probably blown already in all honesty just reviled by the decat. 5 years later, several pairs of rear tyres and thousands of miles hitting the limiter she's good as gold. I never drive this car gently, it only comes out for play time. Yeah it was a painted nail, but it's solid as a rock these days.

Some little things that can clear up some of the rumours.

1. Many, many, more than many even realise (so many were clicked on import) vg30dett equipped cars have over 150k miles on their solid engines, there are even ones out there with 300k miles on the same block! This highlights what Alex was saying, they're solid, as a result neglected at which point a 3.0l twin turbo engined car with 3l of oil in its engine breaks.

2. A stock z32 puts out 280-300hp with equally torque, with the right chip that becomes 400hp. With the right bolt ons, a stock vg30dett can run 500hp reliably with even better bolt ons some have achieved 800+ hp and not for quater of a mile before a rebuild.

3. A z32 has almost perfect weight distribution, weighs 1500kg and will still out handle most cars, look in detail at its suspension setup it was seriously advanced. Most you will buy need new bushes though so don't handle right anymore.

The z32 is a 90s monster, whilst the z33 is one of its closet relatives they are extremely different cars, different market aims. The z33 was marketed as a new 240z. Lightweight budget sports car. The 240 was always critiqued for being under powered. They had massively different price tags when new, the z32 was £50k at the end of production! In 1990 the z32 was nissans flagship model it was 1990s r35.

If you want a z32 do it, you will regret it at some point but when your hitting full boost in a valley echoing and then off wastegates a chattering before pulling up at a junction and a kid taking a photo of a car he's never seen before you will be reminded of what you brought, a legend.

V6 tt is win!

• Like 2

Get one! As others have said now is time to "invest" as they're only going to increase in value as they're slowly but surely getting scrapped and written off.

I bought mine on a complete whim having watched too many episodes of Wheeler Dealers on Sunday and had a bit of Edd China syndrome. I bought a real dog rough one (cosmetically) and lacking a V5 for £1000 last summer. Mine is only a (manual) N/A, I think I would be very cautious knowing what I do know buying a cheapy TT. Mine did require a bit of welding on the sills to get it through the MOT but I decided to invest in a thorough job and underseal and I'm now confident I've got a good strong base and am very tempted to get a TT conversion.

The interior is still work in progress so no pics of that today sorry but hopefully you'll agree from the pic below that it's not looking to shabby anymore. I wrapped it myself which was actually quite an enjoyable project and only cost about £40 in materials.

S.

growler-stanlow01.jpg

Sorry didn't explain very well, the 240 was a budget lightweight sports car, the 350z was designed to be a revival, tbh though, they're what 1500kg? The gtr is much heavier, in the 90s the skylines and zeds were a similar weight. Cars are heavy these days, those Porsche panameras weigh more than an average planet.