About to purchase a 350z, any certian checks to do?

Rocky4510

Hi guys, this is my first post on here. I've just brought a 53 plate Nissan 350z GT UK spec off eBay, i feel it was a good price but im a little concerned as i didnt view the car before buying it because of the distance..

Im just wondering is their any obvious/easy checks i should look at when i pick the car up? He described the car as perfect with no rattles/knocks, everything in working order etc. It has 106k miles on the clock and has had a major P3 service in 2011 and another P3 service in 2012?

I've been soo excited about getting a 350z so im just hoping ive got myself a good buy!

Adam

Welcome to the Land of Zed... :welcome: ..Bit late to make checks if you have bought it off eBay

maybe you should have joined the Forum first and read the posts on "Buying a Zed" great info on

here. Maybe you will be lucky.

Post the eBay link on here and lets see if any Member knows the car.. :thumbs:

Hopefully, yes! Fingers crossed it wasnt a bad descision.

This is the car i brought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130996350266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Should be picking it up with in the next couple of days, if i do find any biggies wrong with it i guess ill just tell him its not as described, walk away and deal with the negative feedback? ><

Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

Apparently he had a Sports clutch fitted with-in the last 3 months, i dont know if he got the flywheel sorted at the same time. I plan on getting a double din dvd player asap and respraying the alloys gloss black, so they wont be much of an issue. But they seem the only main problems i can find about the 350z, was just wondering if there was anythink else i could be looking at.

Just been doing some research on the Sold listings on eBay, and now im really not so confident :(.. The excact same car was sold a couple of weeks ago for £4,000 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-NISSAN-350Z-ORANGE-/251334028426?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a84acec8a - and i paid £5,115.

It also says that there was 6 previous owners and i brought it off the fella saying it has only had 4 owners? I've messaged the first seller who sold it for £4k just asking about it and if he might have anything to lie about. (hes obviously allready lied about the previous owners)

So gutted, I dont no what to do now! :(

No, havent paid a penny yet, was going to pay cash up front.

Yeah thats what i thought, im happy to pay the money for it as long as it is in the condition he says it is. The main thing im curious about is the latest of the service history:

16/06/2010 – 90,748 Fred Coupe Nissan – P1 Minor Service

30/03/2011 – 100,455 Lockwood & Greenwood Nissan – P3 Major Service

09/10/2012 – 104,638 Lockwood & Greenwood Nissan – P3 Major Service

With it being at 106k mileage now im guessing it could do with a service as its been a year since the last one. And the 2 x P3 services within 5k miles, is it me or does it seem really fishy?

• Like 1

Looks a nice enough looking car, no mods done to it, not over priced at £5k, miles a bit high, but car the will take it.

My 2006 had 5 owners, as people don't tend to keep Zeds for long, don't know why as they are a lovely car, I think you can

only tell when you go and see it, Service history seems OK. Good Luck, hope it works out. Keep us posted. :thumbs:

No, havent paid a penny yet, was going to pay cash up front.

Yeah thats what i thought, im happy to pay the money for it as long as it is in the condition he says it is. The main thing im curious about is the latest of the service history:

16/06/2010 – 90,748 Fred Coupe Nissan – P1 Minor Service

30/03/2011 – 100,455 Lockwood & Greenwood Nissan – P3 Major Service

09/10/2012 – 104,638 Lockwood & Greenwood Nissan – P3 Major Service

With it being at 106k mileage now im guessing it could do with a service as its been a year since the last one. And the 2 x P3 services within 5k miles, is it me or does it seem really fishy?

The 2 P3 services were well over a year apart, so nothing fishy there as far as time between services is concerned - if anything, it's a bit long, but these things happen. I don't understand why it had 2 P3 services in a row, when they're supposed to be 4 years apart.

To answer your original question, early Z's had a problem with clicking rear driveshafts. To test this, drive slowly and gently back & forth with windows open. If you hear a click form the back axle, they need attention. They also had window winder motor problems - but these things would probably have been sorted out years ago, if they occurred. After 100,000 miles you could be looking at all sorts of parts wearing out. I'd get a mechanic or the AA to come with you and give it a check, unless you are confident of spotting problems yourself.

I'm amazed that you've bought a car without looking at it - that's something I'd never do.

Okay thanks for the advice, i think im going to confront him tomorrow about the previous owners and why he has lied about it, aswell as hiding the number plate in the pictures. I will also test out the driveshaft noise :thumbs: but yeah i do feel like a massive fool for not viewing it first, i tend to trust people too easy >.<

Cheers guys, will keep you updated!

Okay thanks for the advice, i think im going to confront him tomorrow about the previous owners and why he has lied about it, aswell as hiding the number plate in the pictures. I will also test out the driveshaft noise :thumbs: but yeah i do feel like a massive fool for not viewing it first, i tend to trust people too easy >.<

Cheers guys, will keep you updated!

Rocky, just buy one of a member on here at least you will know the history and it will be well looked after. :thumbs:

Yeah good advice, but I've been looking for an orange GT zed with orange interior for around £5k for a long time now, i think im just going to take the gamble!

Done a HPI check and its all fine. Hes reasured me that its in good nick and showed me 70+ photos of it, i questioned him about it being sold for £4k a couple of weeks ago and aparently he buys and sells bikes and got the zed through px which is fair enough. But once i questioned it he sent a cancelation through eBay straight away and said that the bidder that i outbid offered him £5250 after i won the auction - possible lie to entice me to carry on with the purchace? But im hoping its the truth.

Yeah good advice, but I've been looking for an orange GT zed with orange interior for around £5k for a long time now, i think im just going to take the gamble!

Done a HPI check and its all fine. Hes reasured me that its in good nick and showed me 70+ photos of it, i questioned him about it being sold for £4k a couple of weeks ago and aparently he buys and sells bikes and got the zed through px which is fair enough. But once i questioned it he sent a cancelation through eBay straight away and said that the bidder that i outbid offered him £5250 after i won the auction - possible lie to entice me to carry on with the purchace? But im hoping its the truth.

You dont have to accept a second chance offer on eBay. This seller would worry me, the car was sold too cheap at £4k a few weeks ago,

that would ring alarm bells with me...DONT JUST WALK AWAY...RUN...!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Don't sound to good to me either theres plenty of zeds out there walk away whilst you still can or like whacky will says RUN !!!

Sounds like he doesn't care if you buy the car or not. Did you get anyone to do a professional mechnical check on it? If not, I'd back out - if you're unsure it's probably for a reason. Did you get in touch with the previous owner (through ebay)?

No, havent had a professional look at it. I'm planning on looking at it tomorrow after work and taking my partners step dad with me who knows a fair bit about cars. So if we both find nothing obviously wrong with the car i think i will take the gamble.

*Gulp!*