Interior LED Upgrade

mattyc

Copied from Sam Mcgoo

Sidelight - 2x http://www.autobulbs...-red-amber.html

Numberplate and boot - 3x http://www.autobulbs...ed-colours.html

Interior - 2x http://www.autobulbs...bulbs-30mm.html

Why the different types of 501 for the sidelights and number plate lights, out of curiosity?

Brightness - the numberplate ones would be barely visible next to a xenon, and the sidelight ones would illuminate the entire rear of your car if you used them for your numberplate :teeth:

I went for these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Pure-White-6-SMD-1210-LED-31mm-12V-Car-Interior-Festoon-Dome-Light-Lamp-Bulb-/281052978818?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Perfect, with any leds in the dome they will stay all the time very very dimly (only visible at night) and wont drain the battery.

DON'T GET ANY WITH METAL BODIES THAT WILL TOUCH BOTH CONTACTS AS IT WILL BLOW A TRACK IN YOUR BCM.

• 4 weeks later...

Use a credit card or something to pop out the boot cover and pull the 501 out... Literally pull it... For the dome, use the credit card along the inside side of the plastic and jig it about until they fall out and simply pull the lights out from the connectors and put your new festoons in

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I've got some LED sidelight bulbs but haven't tried to fit them yet (been raining all day!) I've changed sidelight bulbs before in other cars but before I do it in the Z, just want to make sure its straightforward access to the bulb and a simple task of pulling the old one out and replacing with the LED?

Hi guys, I've got some LED sidelight bulbs but haven't tried to fit them yet (been raining all day!) I've changed sidelight bulbs before in other cars but before I do it in the Z, just want to make sure its straightforward access to the bulb and a simple task of pulling the old one out and replacing with the LED?

Yes and no, yes you just pull the bulb and replace but no, access isn't simple, I turned the wheel inwards and jacked the car slightly, remove the plastic rivets holding the inner wheel arch off and pull the the plastic down, this will allow access to the rear of the headlight

It's a knuckle scraper but worth it !

Edited by GIXXERUK

Yes and no, yes you just pull the bulb and replace but no, access isn't simple, I turned the wheel inwards and jacked the car slightly, remove the plastic rivets holding the inner wheel arch off and pull the the plastic down, this will allow access to the rear of the headlight

It's a knuckle scraper but worth it !

Ah man, I was hoping it would be as simple as accessing through the engine bay. I guess I won't be able to do it in a suit while at work ha!

• Like 1

First time I did it I jacked the car up and removed the front wheels, unscrewed the arch liner and did it from there. The second time I just turned the wheels full lock inwards, undid the bolt at about 2 o'clock (if you're looking directly at it) and squeezed my hand through. I have quite big hands and managed it ok :)