Car wouldn't even turn over then started as if nothing was wrong..?

thedon

Hi,

I'm new to these forums - had my 350Z for a couple of months now and I'm delighted with it. One or idiosyncracies but I think that's part of the enjoymnet of ownership.

I got into it this evening though and the engine wouldn't even turn over.

Tried it 5 times with several seconds gap between. No problem with the battery - gauge showed 14V and everything in the cabin worked - radio, windows etc. No particular warning lights on the dash that I could see (they pretty much all stayed on with the key in the advanced position).

Was resigned to walking home but tried it one more time and it fired as normal!

Has anyone else had this? Seems rather odd. Hoping it's not a faulty ECU...

All the best,

Howard

Edited by thedon

Many thanks for the replies. It's been OK for the three trips since this incident, so hopefully it's a one-off but I'll keep an eye on it.

The battery is less than a year old so probably not that and I'm pretty sure I was fully depressing the clutch, but I will be extra vigilent now B)

Failing that if it comes back I will ask my friendly local mechanic to check the things suggested... much appreciated.

Howard

Edited by thedon

I had the same thing many years ago on a Capri, all the electrics working, but on the odd occasion the engine completely dead when I turned the key, no click or anything. I eventually traced it to a loose cable connection on the starter motor.

Pete

Welcome to the Land of Zed.. :welcome: ...As Alex said.

Ah yes... :lol:

LIke the pessimistic fuel guage that shows zero miles DTE still with 20 litres left in the tank (got me worried the first few times), and the boot that slowly shuts on me. All part of the fun: still think its the best car I've ever had... :lol:

I had the same thing many years ago on a Capri, all the electrics working, but on the odd occasion the engine completely dead when I turned the key, no click or anything. I eventually traced it to a loose cable connection on the starter motor.

Thanks Pete - I mentioned this to a mechanic yesterday friend and he reckoned off the top of his head it was likely either the starter motor or ignition key barrel. Will definitely bear this in mind. Cheers.