Teng Tools Reviewed

Commander

I was bought some 1/4" and 1/2" Teng Tools socket sets for my birthday and now I've had time to use them, I thought I'd share my findings so far.

To give you some perspective, I'd consider myself a fairly competent home mechanic and I'm quite happy servicing all my own cars, changing brakes, bearings, clutches, electrics, etc. I've previously used (and have still got) a halfords professional 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" socket set that does for most things and I'm fairly happy with it, although the release button on the 1/4" ratchet is knackered now.

The very first impression of the tools is from the box they come in - the 1/4" box feels really cheap and I'm not convinced it will last to be honest, but the 1/2" box feels much more solid and durable - better than the halfords box too. Inside, both boxes are equipped with a variety of sockets, extensions, a UJ and a ratchet. The 1/4" box also contains a screwdriver, a variety of bits and a nice little empty hole that you can put your the things in that you've removed, which is handy.

Both ratchets are built from a metal / plastic / rubbery assembly that feels solid, the ratchet mechanism feels and sounds solid, but if I was going to criticise it, perhaps more ratchet teeth would be nice for when working in those small areas, but it's not any better / worse than the halfords professional set. The handle on the 1/2 ratchet is particularly comfortable and being rubberised, isn't half as cold to the touch, which will be very nice in winter.

So far, I can't really fault them. I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here later advocating all sorts of other brands, but I can't comment on them, I'm just here to say I'm happy with my new Tengs and hopefully this will help you make your mind up when buying your own tools in the future.

Jobs so far using the Tengs;

Oil and oil filter change on 350z

Oil, oil filter and air filter change on a Fiesta Mk4

Changed both front wheel hub assemblies on 350z

Pics: 349699dd8c660d3439ba811c5afc25f0.jpg

Edited by Commander

The knackered 1/4" ratchet is a halfords professional yes, probably had it 6-7 years, but halfrauds were being wan**rs when I tried to replace it last time, so I gave up :(

Try another branch?

Also maybe worth asking at the till if their pro range offers life time warranty and when they say yes take it out of your pocket and say I want this replaced or repaired then. Job done :grin:

• Like 1

There's a hint of a Snap-on look to them and they do look well made. Personally I wouldn't be using the 1/4" sockets as they're multipoint ones rather than 6 sided and can screw up your nuts much much easier, but I guess if you're not working on hard to removed nuts and bolts they'll be fine.

Personally I wouldn't be using the 1/4" sockets as they're multipoint ones rather than 6 sided and can screw up your nuts much much easier, but I guess if you're not working on hard to removed nuts and bolts they'll be fine.

Indeed, but if I'm applying that much force I'll upgrade to the 3-foot 1/2" breaker bar and use the 6-sided sockets from my compressed air gun. I'm a big fan of using the right tool for the job, working smarter not harder, etc...

Nice to hear of experiences.

Just a note though that 1/4 ratchet has a life time warranty so get it replaced FOC :thumbs:

EDIT of it is a professional ratchet that is :)

Nope. The halfords have lifetime warranty on everything bar the ratchet mechanism. So snap a socket that will replace it but break the ratchet mechanism you have to buy the repair kit.

• Like 1

Nope. The halfords have lifetime warranty on everything bar the ratchet mechanism. So snap a socket that will replace it but break the ratchet mechanism you have to buy the repair kit.

I never knew that and looking at the T&C's you are indeed correct. I think i'd still try it on though.

• Proof of purchase is required to validate the Lifetime Guarantee.
  • Misuse of the product will immediately invalidate the Lifetime Guarantee.
  • Moving parts are not covered for wear and tear under this guarantee.
  • Discontinued items will be replaced with an equivalent product in terms of use and quality.
  • This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

OT I know sorry: Are they serviceable like Snap-on? just thinking there maybe a servcie kit cheaper than replacing.

EDIT, you answered my question already :bangin: :blush:

Edited by Fodder

Yeah I've not seen anything that comes close to snap-on and their post service. I was an apprentice in my first career and I had quite a bit of the stuff. Wish I'd kept hold of it.

Well except brit-tool i seem to remember they offered a similar policy too.

• Like 1

Yeah I've not seen anything that comes close to snap-on and their post service. I was an apprentice in my first career and I had quite a bit of the stuff. Wish I'd kept hold of it.

Well except brit-tool i seem to remember they offered a similar policy too.

But like the ratchets have way more teeth than other ones as in it will still ratchet when you can hardly move. Also lifetime guarantee on everything and their air guns are just silly good. But some times a simple swan neck spanner is £50-60 each!

Teng tools are great use them all the time on the car the 1/2 inch ratchet you have is a frp ratchet they are amazing taken wheel nuts off with my one as the brace with the car snaped as the garage put them on to tight :angry: I'd say teng are better than some the current snap on stuff as I use teng at home and snap on at work as snap on do more af and some of the new bits I've got feel very cheap hope the tools hold up for you!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Edited by madmikester

cant beat quality tools. My dad worked for rolls royce and when he swapped jobs they let him keep all of the tools he'd accumilated over 20 years. Included was a 100 piece ratchet set that according to the leaflet inside was billet stainless steel (their a german brand and its badly translated) Makes jobs so much easier as they take all the punishment i can give them. Whereas the cheap halfords ratchet set i broke lasted about a month before the ratchet packed up and i'd cracked some of the sockets.