Radiator fans - Which is supposed to kick in ?

modd1uk

06 Z, drivers side kicks in when idling for too long, the drivers side also kicks in if you put the air con on, but i'm yet to see the passenger side radiator fan kick in..is it only supposed to kick in at a certain temperature ? I asked stu on here and his passenger side one didn't spin either just his drivers side. Car isn't over heating, temps never exceed just under half way on needle ( i know they aint super accurate but still).

Got a link to the guide ? Yeah just been out to check, drivers side kicks in perfectly fine but passenger side is a no go. Had a quick look through the guides and couldn't see it ? I must be blind.

/edit, think i found it, "Gansta" music over the video ?

Edited by modd1uk

Yeah thats the guide i found from a google search, as you pointed out it wasn't in the guide section of the forum. So 100% both fans should be on when aircon is running ? If that's the case i'l have to take the passenger side off and have a look. Don't have to take the radiator off do you ? Not had a look to see where the fan motor is on the car.

Hmm Stu has just informed me his second fan doesn't come on with the AC but when he had his coolant changed and his car got hot enough the second fan did kick in ? So much information on the internet its hard to know whats the truth or not.

Edited by modd1uk

Both mines run as soon as I put it on. I refurbed mines a few weeks ago.

You don't have to remove the radiator. U need to clamp the top radiator hose and remove it. You'll then need a rubber glove or rubber stop to block the top of the radiator. It's a bit tricky but it's nothing too difficult. Best have a helper with you though.

It's no problem mate. It comes from the top. There is two retaining clips at the too. It might hit the a/c pipes so push them gently over a little so as not to damage them. U will need underneath the car to disconnect all the wiring.

It's no problem mate. It comes from the top. There is two retaining clips at the too. It might hit the a/c pipes so push them gently over a little so as not to damage them. U will need underneath the car to disconnect all the wiring.

Yep thats it the pennies dropped cheers. I'l wait for this weather to go and crack on, might aswell do both whilst the shroud is off. Cheers buddy.

So as per OPs comments I've been looking into this on my Zed too. Same symptoms. Fans off until circa 100 degrees, then driver's kicks in, passenger does nothing. With AC on, driver's spins, not passenger's.

Whilst I was in garage today for unrelated issue, tech plugged in computer and set fans to low. Driver kicks in only. He then set to high and passenger fires up too! No problem, no struggle, just on.

I put this down to dirty fan contacts on passenger side at first, but no amount of banging or finger wiggling makes passenger fan spin up with AC on. However, it breezes into life with the computer telling it to go high.

So I'm thinking, stage one (low) is driver side and stage two (high) is passenger side as well, I know this contradicts the workshop manual, but is there a slim chance Nissan got it wrong in the book or it's some sort of regional variant?

• 5 years later...

Bit of a ressurection here, but does anyone know?? Should both kick in or just one?

My car is the same as the OP. Only ever seen the driver's side turn.

Edited by shooze

From my own experience with a standard low mileage car and original fans(2006) the drivers side does most of the work, coming on with ac and normal idling temps as required but get the car hot enough and both come on.

Try giving it a bit of a spanking then let it idle until fans cut in, it will probbly trigger one then,soon after,  the second.

On mine, putting the ac on at these higher temps puts both fans on straight away.

At least thats how it works on mine without any issues over many years, iincluding an annual trip to the Italian/Austrian passes in summer heat.

its very confusing trying to fathom out the correct behaviour online because so much of the internet info is US based, and from what I can gather, the Mishimoto replacements don't follow the original pattern, but put both fans on at high speed in all circumstances.

The mishimotos are only single speed, vs the dual speed of the OEM units.

Recently helped a friend diagnose an overheating issue to discover both fans intermittently not working, replaced with the mishimoto and all fixed :)

Mishimotos can be bought online for about £140 at the moment with free delivery too, meaning they are considerably cheaper than anything else. They work great, but bear in mind with the single speed they sound loud whenever they come on - but not much louder than the standard fans are when on full speed.