Any indoor climbers here?

mattross1313

Just wondering :)

Last week myself and a few colleagues had our induction and are hoping to get into climbing - there is a good indoor centre at a local school. I am crap with heights and kinda got bullied into it, but its good fun :)

Off out tonight to get some climbing shoes, and maybe harness etc shortly after. Anyone else do or have done this before? I'm hoping to build up my equipment and eventually try outdoors.

Matt :)

I used to, but out of practise by a couple of years now... Gravity kept picking on me because of my love of pies, beer, biscuits, and other such tasty things that aren't really compatible with my conquering anything harder than a 6b :)

It's a great sport, especially when you get in to it - kept me sane and fit when I was going through some stressful times - when you're clinging on with your fingertips your brain gets to not think about the rest of the world!

No idea where you are in the world, but most places aren't usually too far away from somewhere (although quality varies, and if it's in a school, it's may not be great in my experience)

I'm a scout leader in my spare time so frequently do various types of climbing activities. I always enjoy it, might have to actually take up sometime! How expensive is it if you don't mind me asking?

As above, the local place we use (and the only place I have used so far) is £6.40 per person and you can stay as long as your arms can hold you!! (so far about 1.5 hours for me). On top of this I am currently hiring equipment at £1 per item, per time - Harness, carabiner and Belay.

On that note - if anyone has some gear they no longer use let me know! :)

I used to skydive, but did a few BASE jumps, where we had to climb some pretty epic climbs in the states.

I do a lot of Olympic lifting, and love the flexibility and strength climbers have, I sometimes join my friends who do climbing, whilst I haven't got their technique or flexibility, I hold my own fairly well. It's an expensive hobby around London though. :(

Defo look for local clubs, it can be a great craic. Plus it gets you access to loads of second hand gear usually - Just go careful, as of course a lot of it is rather safety critical! Main things to avoid second hand are helmets and ropes.

I can see us joining up with a local club if we get into it - for now I just want to see how well I stick to it! so shoes for now as I REALLY struggling for grip with my gym shoes :scare:

But the harnesses you get to hire are pretty uncomfortable. Looking at a few on ebay right now.

Yeah I figure for second hand kit things like harnesses should be OK as they have wear indicators (or some do), and carabiners, belays are easy to check over.

We have the basics at home; helmet, harness, chalk bag, belay plate, some quickdraws for leading, and some carabiners. Thats all you really need for indoors, and of course you can get a lot of benefit with even less gear by doing bouldering.

• Like 1