CALL LOCATOR TFR TRACKER £4973

Zedrush

Okay, sounds a bit high tec and James Bondy, but my friend a Tek head, who has way too much money and all the latest gadgets can get something called a TFR locater for £4973, not so sure if I said it right.

Basically its a cradel for your sim card and it can trace the exact position of a call or text you recieved within a month anywhere in the world, even if number is witheld. Basically say you recieve a call or text from your girlfriend 12 o'clock on a saturday night and she says she is in a bar with friends, you can take your chip out put it in a cradel sync it by bluetooth or usb to laptop and like a tomtom map find out exactly where that call or text was made, to know if she was telling the truth.

How mad is that, my first thoughts was... is it legal? :scare::scare:

Guess you would never be cheated on with one of these or bosses could catch out their employees who want to pull a sicky :thumbs:

Gonna see him on sunday, to see if its true as googled it and nothing came up, he doesnt blag but I gotta see it, will take pics and post

:thumbs:

Even does it if you cll them up,and they dont answer, as long as it rings, unless its switched off pin points exact location

Doing a search on google, it looks as though this technology is available, but the whole thing sounds rather dubious to me.

A phone can obviously be located by triangulating its position, but would this not require access to raw data from phone masts? Who is going to give joe public access to that?

Also, do the masts even record the data that would allow a phone to be triangulated?

Very curious to see whether this is true or not, and I would certainly be interested in such technology, or paying to access such technology, as every now and then I would like to check up on people throwing sickies from work :dry:

Well there is a service to which I was shown hope he doesnt mind me listing which is:

http://www.mobilelocate.co.uk/ but this is very limited

but apparently my mates one not sure how guides you to the exact location at that time after the call has been terminated like a gps signal, sounds crazy to me too but I know one thing for sure he is not the bulls£itter type to joke about this, so will check it out, as I am interested, of course not paying the full whack getting it much much cheaper but still worth it if its true :thumbs:

A lot of mobiles have a gps chip in them. Some of the mobile operators in the US of locator services. Not very expensive. There's one US co that does it for free. Download their software to pda and get their mates to do the same. Can then locate each other using google map type of system.

Apparently Bin Laden does not have a digital watch because you can trace a location from the electrical pulse. Apparantly he also throws away a mobile after using it once as it can be used to find him. So, it doesn't suprise me one bit if this kind of technology is available :thumbs:

So long as the logs store which mobile towers were accessed to make the call you can still triangulate an approximate position. GPS is the preferred method. I read somewhere that all new mobiles in the US have to have a GPS chip in them now for emergency’s. I also read that road side assistance company’s in the US are using the GPS method to locate people when the call.

the mobile masts log your phone position every time it registers with the network or performs a handover (a transition from one mast to another as you move about). Most operators store this data for up to a year but theres nothing to say it couldnt be held longer. They dont just give it to anyone though!

Your phone even sends a "dying gasp" to the network when you turn it off to say "I have been turned off" so the network understands its off rather

than just gone out of reception (hold your phone near a radio and turn it off to hear the buzzy data stream it sends telling the network whats going on).

Precise position triangulation is not what the system offers, it pretty much tells you which is the nearest / strongest signal mast thats serving the call. The most public reporting of this was following the soham murders http://p10.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/blog/2003/12/soham_murders_mobile_phones_an.html

It has been reported that operators keep the data for up to 6 years for "billing" reasons.

You could always try this site.........

http://www.sat-gps-locate.com :p

DOH! you beat me to it! :oops::repost::yawn:

Just to back up what mugwump has said.

The telco will keep a record of the cell or mast you used for the call, and this will give a rough estimate of where you are, but it by no means pinpoints your location. I cant see a telco giving out information for a customer unless explicitly told to do so, so you could trace your own phone quite feasibly, but not someone elses (unbless they are on the same network and also give permission). The call record your provider recieves for the incoming call doesnt tell you where that person was as each telco has different cell site identifiers, its not a standard, so a Voda cell ID means nothing to Orange. Also the retention on call records is another dubious thing, most keep for upto 3 or 5yrs. Highly unlikely they will give you access to this history.

I would certainly be interested in seeing a demo of this or some other info though, just to see how it works :)