Looking to replace BOSE sub & amp

tommybandit

Hey all,

Looking to replace the 10 inch free air bose subwoofer, and stock amp.

What recommendations, for those of you that have done so, can you offer? :)

Also, I'll be doing a complete DIY job of it all.

There any guides out there that gives me a replacement precedure?

I want to use stock wiring, so that stays lol. so do i need any wiring harnesses for speaker connections or sub?

I've replaced the HU with a pioneer appradio2, using pre-outs at the moment to power everything....and the system, the volume, is just pathetic! :(

• Like 2

Try searching for a thread called 'reduced sound out put after replacing o/e bose ?' Not sure how to do a link to it I'm afraid!

Basically I had the same when I replaced my Bose head unit and it made it very quiet with not great sound quality. I then used line boosters to up the volume which made it Better but still not great...

And then I found this thread, did the wiring mod which cost all of about 3 quid and it has transformed my stereo into something very respectable! Very loud volume, crisp sound, good bass..

So I would recommend trying this first before throwing loads of money at it :-)

Iv just done this my self had a. Pioneer HU and sound was crap its easy to do the buster mod just cut the ends off the RCA leads that plug in to the back off your HU and there are 2 wires after u strip the wire back . There the + wire live is in the center and the - ground is the wire Wrapped around it then u joine them to the speaker wires from your head unit

Hey all,

Looking to replace the 10 inch free air bose subwoofer, and stock amp.

What recommendations, for those of you that have done so, can you offer? :)

Also, I'll be doing a complete DIY job of it all.

There any guides out there that gives me a replacement precedure?

I want to use stock wiring, so that stays lol. so do i need any wiring harnesses for speaker connections or sub?

I've replaced the HU with a pioneer appradio2, using pre-outs at the moment to power everything....and the system, the volume, is just pathetic! :(

Hey all, I followed busters method of hijacking the pre outs and crimped(instead of soldered) to the 8speaker wires (+\-) coming out the aftermarket pioneer wiring harness..... Once which wires were identified ... Was a piece of cake! 1 hour 30 mins later, the centre console was back on, and my ears bleeding before the volume knob hit 20/40.... And surprisingly, only using Bose speakers, amp and sub.... It wasn't half bad!! No distortion at this level, and a solid bass. (But there's always room for more bass ;) ) ... I have a few pictures that I will upload if any one needs a visual rep of what to look for. But credit goes to buster and his zed shed antics.

Hey all, I followed busters method of hijacking the pre outs and crimped(instead of soldered) to the 8speaker wires (+\-) coming out the aftermarket pioneer wiring harness..... Once which wires were identified ... Was a piece of cake! 1 hour 30 mins later, the centre console was back on, and my ears bleeding before the volume knob hit 20/40.... And surprisingly, only using Bose speakers, amp and sub.... It wasn't half bad!! No distortion at this level, and a solid bass. (But there's always room for more bass ;) ) ... I have a few pictures that I will upload if any one needs a visual rep of what to look for. But credit goes to buster and his zed shed antics.

cheers :teeth: now change the speakers add a better amp + sub

Edited by buster
  • Like 1

Right, here's just a little more detail on which wires are what and what to do, AFTER the head unit is removed.

Firstly, work out which 8 wires from the Head Unit are the positive and negative wires which connect to speakers and sub. 4 Pairs = 8 wires..... The very thin solid coloured wires (White, Grey, Green, Purple) are positive, and the same coloured counterparts with a solid black line (White with black line, Grey with black line, Green with black line, Purple with black line)

post-19399-0-45437900-1377881573_thumb.jpg

Secondly, grab the 4 pre-out (phono cables as otherwise known) and cut the heads off (cut the adaptors off).

post-19399-0-86874400-1377881875_thumb.jpg

Resulting in cables looking like this;

post-19399-0-21223100-1377882033_thumb.jpg

FINALLY Crimp or solder, solid coloured wires from the Head Unit to solid coloured wires from the Pre-out cables. AND, do exactly the same with the Coloured cable with a black line on them to the bare negative copper wire from the Pre-out cables....... REMEMBER after soldering or crimping to wrap any exposed metal from the completed wires in insulating tape......

IF you want to find out which colours, relate to which speaker, grab a AAA battery and put the bare copper negative wire on the battery (either end) and tap the positive bare copper part of the wire on the other... you will hear a slight pop,pop,pop,pop.......

This is a guide only, if you damage anything, i cannot be held responsible :p !!!

So hope this help,

I actually had alot of fun carrying out this mod... makes me think that im actually in the wrong profession as this was quite enjoyable!!!

Smokey(the Zed) and tommybandit :D

Edited by tommybandit

IF you want to find out which colours, relate to which speaker, grab a AAA battery and put the bare copper negative wire on the battery (either end) and tap the positive bare copper part of the wire on the other... you will hear a slight pop,pop,pop,pop.......

How to fry your amp part one.

This might show you what speaker you're dealing with but it won't give you the phase of the speaker.

This is a guide only, if you damage anything, i cannot be held responsible :p !!!

How to fry your amp part two.

This modification botch is wiring the head speakers outputs straight into the OEM amp. Not what it was design to take, way too high. Yes I know others have done it but it doesn't make it safe.

I've got Audison speakers all round, Alpine 10" sub under strut brace all powered by pioneer double din and audison amplifier. Pricey but well worth the money! Quality audio holds its value well as well so good for selling on in the future or moving from one car to another.. :)