Multi car no claims discount

wizurd

Hi.

Just been thinking about my insurance renewal. Basically got the zed last October. At the time cheapest offer I got was insuring with Admiral for both the zed and my old banger fiesta. They offered me multi car plus they mirrored my no claims discount so rather than taking my 8 years and only having that on the zed and having to start again on the fiesta they gave me 8 years ncd on both cars. Now if i have to leave Admiral does anyone know if i can then take the 8 years with both cars? On the Admiral documentation it says 8 years ncd on each individual insurance doc for the two cars. Anyone ever done this before?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

They'll probably give you 8 years on one car and nothing on the other, as you haven't had it insured for a year yet. No chance 8 years NCB on both cars. If they did, it would be a very easy way for folks to get many years of multiple NCBs quite easily,

I wouldn't be surprised if, regardless, you only got one NCB anyway.

Realised I was being mega lazy and should of just ran Admiral. I was thinking exactly the same as you Ekona. Ran them up now and had to ask twice just to make sure they were giving me the right answer. They've checked with their manager and have told me that in Oct if i decide to leave I'll get 8 years ncd on both cars. Separately. So I can insure both with different insurers with 8 years on both. I still don't believe it though. But that's what Admiral just told me. Paranoia says wait and see plus with a new insurer even if I do get that then the ncd will show 8 years say on the zed but that I'd only owned it for 1 year. Hummmm. Crossing fingers what they've said is correct though because like you said that's a bloody easy way to get ncd built up!

Yer I was thinking of doing that. I don't believe it myself lol. Will definitely update this though when October comes around if i do have to leave Admiral and split between two insurers.

Your NCB isn't vehicle specific. You could change your car every year for 10 years and have 10 year NCB, so it's very possible to own a car for one year and have 8 years NCB on that policy.

If they send you 2 renewal letter, 1 for each car separately, and they both list 8 Years NCB, they will both still have the same policy number and therefore it would be a form of fraud to use your 8 years on both cars separately.

Edited by KyleR

Yer I understood the bit about ncd not being car specific but when I looked for multi car all the insurers start saying it's against the car not you so you can't have 8 years on both. Until I got to Admiral and they said they would match it. That's what I don't get about the policy number. Regardless if they are on the same number or not if they do honor this 8 years on both then I've got 8 years on both. Frankly multi car insurance and ncd entitlement does seem like an insurance company excuse to make money. If you've driven for 8 years claim and accident free why you should have to start from 0 if you got a second car makes no sense. What I'll do is try to get this in writing and when Oct comes around see what happens if I do have to leave Admiral and insure the cars separately. Gonna be fun I'm sure :)

But you/they can't fashion years of NCB from thin air. Many insurers will give you an equivalent NCB on a second car, same as they will also give you discount if you are a named driver for X years, but you still dont have additional NCB, unless you stay with them then they'll keep the discount running.

They are wrong about it being against each car, because then you'd have 0 NCB everytime you buy a new car. You only gain NCB on a policy, so multi car will only get you a years NCB, not 2x1years NCB. It is possible that when you explain things to a new insurer they will still give you discount for the Fiesta, but they don't have to as you don't have NCB for it.

Good luck, though, i'll be interested to see what happens.

See what you mean. It doesn't help when I was ringing around last year insurers were saying the ncd is only against the one car. But like you said it's the policy. Hum. Will see what happens in Oct now. Hopefully Admiral renewal will be ok so won't need to change but I don't think I've ever spent more than one year with an insurer in the past. Normally renewal time is time to move.

Always possible a bartering will get the prices down anyway.

Insurance - what fun.

They are technically right, it is only against one car, in terms of it can only be used for one car at a time, but generally most insurers will add an amount of discount for a second car if you're adding it to the policy. If however you split the cars off to different companies, you'll most likely start at 0 on the Fiesta, despite it being insured last year. I think the only way of getting 2x NCB on a multicar policy is if there are 2 drivers, each gets 1 year if you set it up correctly. Thats what I did in 2012, 2 cars, 2 people, one person collecting NCB on each car.

I might be wrong but as I see it in this case, it is the policy that the no claims is linked to rather than the car(s) and as such it is only the no claims from that individual policy that can be carried on. As i think, mentioned above, it will be the individual policy and number the next insurer will want, and can't be used multiple times. As with any insurance, it's only a problem when you come to claim, so as Ekona says, I'd want it in writing in triplicate and signed by Admirals CEO.

Anyway, congrats on a year of ownership, seems like yesterday!

Sent request for it all in writing so wait and see. Probably will be stuck with Admiral and won't be able to split. Worrying that even their own advisors and manager on duty can't even get it right :huh:

Cheers mate. Will be a year on 21st Oct. Gone so fast! Been absolutely brilliant as well. Will be looking at some paint work probably next year now just to keep her spotless. I'm being over picky probably but why not :) and thanks for selling her to me in the first place!

I've just been through this after leaving Admiral and going to Priviledge. I had four years and managed to persuade Priviledge to give me four years on both cars... I know though that other companies will only let you use the NCB on one car or split it between the two - you have to clarify that as you shop around when you leave admiral.

They are technically right, it is only against one car, in terms of it can only be used for one car at a time, but generally most insurers will add an amount of discount for a second car if you're adding it to the policy.

It not only depends on company it depends on who you are speaking to at that company.

I had about a seperate dozen phone calls last year with Admiral when I wanted to add an old banger car to my policy to save me using the zed every day for work. I had 20 years NCB on the zed`s policy. Every single time, Admiral went through the prices and it was going to cost me about a £1000 extra to add a £500 car to the policy, even though the risk to Admiral was drastically lower if i was using an old car for work rather than the zed. Each time they said they could not use any NCB on the other car, so they would have to charge me the full price as if id no NCB at all on the extra premium for the 2nd car. What was hilarious was that each time they were sure they could offer me a "good price as a multi car policy" to "save me money" and yet it worked out cheaper for me to just insure the old banger seperately with another company.

And yet as we can see on this thread, for other people they happily duplicate NCB or offer reduced prices etc. Guess its pot luck as to who you speak to on the phone.

It's a right minefield! Thanks for all the replies. I will make sure that I'm clear with any new insurers when the renewal comes up. I'll post up the results then in case anyone's interested.

@Rabbitstew sounds like you've had a right pain in the ass with Admiral.

@skyinsurance thanks I'll make sure I mention it all to any prospective insurers.

@vik good to know someone else that's been through the same. I'll bare privilege in mind for sure.

Admiral's multicar is a circus! I've just cancelled mine because 1. Admiral are a bunch of monkeys 2.Admiral can't seem to manage their own multicar system.

Initialy it was okay, they matched the 11 years on my second car - then my Girlfriend added her car and it all went to hell in a handbag...

Apparenly they can only charge one card for the policy - so the extra £300 for her came off my credit card without them telling me or seeking authorisation, and then She couldn't see her policy details without using a weird way of using my date of birth and password and her email address - very secure!!

Finally I've just gone to checkthe nissan's insurance certificate for road tax and couldn't see it online - funnily enough only the renewals hotline could help me and after 5 30 minute phone calls I still couldn't see my documents, every time they reset my online account however I got renewal notice for £1600,£1650 etc. when the actual renewal was only £350!

Moving my cars to seperate poilicies as it just seems easier - interestingly back on topic they sent through a seperate proof of no claims for each vehicle with 11 years NCB...

But do both cars have the same policy number? I'm betting they do. I had 2 policy's with the same number with them too, one to use with each car, but both with the same number, still meaning it can only be used on one new policy.

hmm, I se what you mean - so how will that work with my girlfriends car? if she's moved to the mluticar policy does that mean she's lost her NCB and we now have 1 between the 3 cars?

Go and read the policy and small print - by using a credit card the first time you agree that unless you call them they can take from that card for any future changes or renewals - so when your renewal comes through if you don't want it you have to notify them otherwise they take the amount automatically ( I know this from experience four years ago when I first went with Admiral multicar) Also when you stop to read NCB terms on the multi-car you will find that she can only accrue NCB on the car she is the main driver for. Note difference between 'main driver' and actual 'policy holder' - I also found this out to my expense when my partner pranged the zed and it was me that lost my NCB as I was policy holder. Read things through and make no assumptions! :)

in the words of Dragons Den - 'I'm out' :)

Told Admiral to stick it and re-insuring as seperate policies - will have to work out the NCB with the new companies, Z is fine as its the main car and i'm the main policy holder, other car is a £800 snotter so quotes aren't much over £200 even without NCB.

• Like 1

in the words of Dragons Den - 'I'm out' :)

Told Admiral to stick it and re-insuring as seperate policies - will have to work out the NCB with the new companies, Z is fine as its the main car and i'm the main policy holder, other car is a £800 snotter so quotes aren't much over £200 even without NCB.

:lol: and they charged you £££ admin fee for the priviledge didn't they? Check how much is refunded to your card it will be minus an admin fee and it'll take up to 11 working days to come back IIRC :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well just a quick update. All my worrying about having to move insurers and what would happen with the ncd came to nothing in the end.

Admiral sent me a renewal for 670 quid. Previous year was about 550 I think. Rang them up to complain that I could do a quote with them now and it was coming in at 510 and they matched it :). Spent last two weeks or so then going through what would happen when I change my little run around car out for something else. They gave me details on costs etc. Renewal day was Monday and in the end haven't swapped my fiesta for anything so called back up to pay for the year. They recalculated the premium and it's down to 485 for the year now lol. Very happy indeed.

When I do swap the fiesta for another cheap car it'll cost 17.50 administration plus whatever the new car costs assuming it's extra to insure. If it's cheaper then I get a rebate.

Thank god that's done for another year.