Best short shift?

Arran

As above really, tried searching but only came up with one TWM thread

Was thinking about putting a short shift on the Z as i had one on my 36 and it was great along with a properly weighted gearknob, i know the Z's throw is quite short anyway but if you can get it shorter still and still get the same feel then that would be even better

Ive seen advertised on various sites

B&M, apparently not very good fitment and quality

Nismo, havent heard a bad thing as expected

TWM, seems pretty good aswell

AMS, havent heard anything on these

Japspeed, obviously wouldnt touch this with a barge pole

They seem quite a rare thing to have on a Z, wondered if anyone had one on here or could tell me the best one to have?

• 1 year later...

I had the pleasure of driving a very, very nice NSX around my local roads yesterday and one of the many things which stood out to me was the beautifully short, precise gear shift.

So yep, now I want a short shifter.

I'm slightly unsure as to which one to go for, the Stillen one sounds like it's very well built and nearly 60% shorter throw !

Or, as a couple of you have had the B&M, this could be good but it's around 33% shorter (and I hear conflicting thoughts about how it rattles or generally a POS). However, I wonder if it was re-designed as a couple of you guys rated it ?

I had the pleasure of driving a very, very nice NSX around my local roads yesterday and one of the many things which stood out to me was the beautifully short, precise gear shift.

So yep, now I want a short shifter.

I'm slightly unsure as to which one to go for, the Stillen one sounds like it's very well built and nearly 60% shorter throw !

Or, as a couple of you have had the B&M, this could be good but it's around 33% shorter (and I hear conflicting thoughts about how it rattles or generally a POS). However, I wonder if it was re-designed as a couple of you guys rated it ?

My old ctr and mates s2k were lovely for that

Well I decided to purchase and fit a cheap eBay short shifter (shock horror!), these are an exact copy of the b&m/fidanza design.

The reason, I thought I'd just see if I liked the feeling of the shortened throw for a cheap price.

As I expected, the fit and finish is fine, nothing really wrong with it as it seems like it was updated with the design of the 'official' ones.

Fitting is straightforward, and I used the oem plate on top of the included one, as it helps guide into 5th and 6th.

The only tiny thing is that reverse is a bit tricky to engage but I can see why and will show why in some pics later.

Feels great, very positive, not notchy (I have the poly bushing on the transmission mount btw).

I may still try the Stillen or another at a later date but for now this is ok. (will be in touch Adrian ;-) )