How did I do with my Z?

maddog1982

Hi guys,

As you might of seen im new on here and recently got me a 350z, I spent a long time looking, and viewed a few before settling on this one. Just wanted to know if I did ok. I followed the guides so had a rough idea what to check for.

My Z

Good points:

Its a Z and makes my b*llocks tingle when I start it!

56 plate 07 in gunmetal gray coupe. (296HP version)

Full GT spec including sat nav.

48k on the clock, taxed until end of the year same with the mot and next service due April 2014. Belts done two months a go, again at Nissan.

Full Nissan stamped history, 7 stamps I think. Every single receipt from new, including original bill of sale and his receipt for 22kish!

Bought it off a doctor who has had this from ten months old making me her third keeper.

Everything works, ice cold aircon included!

Not so Good but bought regardless as to me the history of the car was immense and the few niggling faults can be cured!

Paint work is dry/flat id say but I have a friend who will professionally valet this and get it like glass: Booked in next weds woop woop!

Wheels, every one has curb rash but in good shape apart from that. Full refurb in a few weeks will sort this. Been quoted 286.

Occasional driveshaft click, doesn't always do it and cant work out if its both sides or not. Is it something that needs fixing right away? Im talking to Zman alex about his replacement parts to rectify this.

Again occasional rattle when I switch it off doesn't always do it. Alex said its probably flywheel but can be left for the time being.

Couple of the drivers switches dont illuminate and the drivers vent is broken. Again Alex is sorting this hopefully today!

Needs two new rear tyres. Needing advice on these as im lost! It has bridgestones on the fron and VUS on the back, feels very planted with these on. I usually buy toyos but heard good things about the goodyears also. Opions please?

And the price for this I talked him down to £8150

So let me have it. Did the boy do good?

The clicking could be the good old clicking CV joint problem. Have a searchy on here before you pay out good money on parts, it can be fixed with a simple re-grease.

Ekona 'has views' on many things ;) but tyres are something he enjoys talking about - drop him a PM if you like but there are many threads discussing them also on here. The general concensus seems to be get matching tyres all round, although RE040 Bridges are not the best tyre in the world, how much you got left on the fronts? Might be worth doing all 4 at the same time if you have the budget - top tyres are SuperSports it seems although a lot of people go for Falken or Vreds.

Otherwise Alex is good for all your Nissan parts and will save you a packet over any Nissan dealership.

Whereabouts are you located? There is a meet at the Grasshopper in Westerham (near Gatwick) in a couple of weeks, come along and sure the lads will take a look at any rattles and noises.

TYRES TYRES I'M SURE SOMEONE MENTIONED TYRES

:D

If you're on a budget then match the fronts as mixed tyres are not a good idea IMHO (see the Sticky in the sub-forum for more details), however I would suggest that in this case you would be much better off replacing all four with something decent. The MPSS are incredible, as whilst they're both grippy and full of feel they also last ages too, and you will more than claw back the extra cost. That said, if you're happy with the VUS then just get four of those, although they're a dead brand now so you may struggle to replace in the future if you need to (puncture etc).

For the clicking axle noise, check the stickied thread.. You can fix it for an afternoon of your time! :)

Yep, with basic tools its an hours job. Its not the CV joint, despite this being exactly the same symptom as a CV joint. Sticky thread in 350z general I think :)

• Like 1

TYRES TYRES I'M SURE SOMEONE MENTIONED TYRES

:D

If you're on a budget then match the fronts as mixed tyres are not a good idea IMHO (see the Sticky in the sub-forum for more details), however I would suggest that in this case you would be much better off replacing all four with something decent. The MPSS are incredible, as whilst they're both grippy and full of feel they also last ages too, and you will more than claw back the extra cost. That said, if you're happy with the VUS then just get four of those, although they're a dead brand now so you may struggle to replace in the future if you need to (puncture etc).

I did indeed! We regards to the VUS maybe that's why my tyre guy cant find them listed at the warehouse! Do keep hearing good reviews about the Michelin arn't theys scary in price though. Forgot to check fronts but sure there bridge stone 50a what are you thoughts on these? Also what about the goodyear? are toyos a waste of time on the zed?

You did well, must have been the excellent advice you were given beforehand :teeth:

I personally run Bridgestone RE050A's, they are a bit cheaper than MPSS and not as good in the wet but I like the way they communicate. Toyos were good when I had them, if youre looking at that end of the market FK452 (or FK453's now) seem to be the tyre of choice. Do something about the exhaust too, they sound awesome once free'd up a little :)

• Like 1

You did well, must have been the excellent advice you were given beforehand :teeth:

I personally run Bridgestone RE050A's, they are a bit cheaper than MPSS and not as good in the wet but I like the way they communicate. Toyos were good when I had them, if youre looking at that end of the market FK452 (or FK453's now) seem to be the tyre of choice. Do something about the exhaust too, they sound awesome once free'd up a little :)

Thanks pal, I did indeed receive excellent advice!!! I thought 8150 was a good price to? With regards to the exhaust, I think as standard they sound awesome, does it really get much better?! Im with Esure so there not to mod friendly from memory though

Edited by maddog1982

I run the RE050A on my 911, and they're good. Not as good as the MPSS, and for the price difference I'd much rather use them if I were allowed. :)

Few pics, as you can see the paint is flat and dry. This is soon to be sorted!

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

And one for Ekona:

IMG_2537.jpg

Edited by maddog1982