prepping metallic paint for laquer coat

gareth29

Currently got two new front wings to go on my project. The paint is gun metal. I assume I have to rub down the colour coat with wet and dry, prior to laquering, but the 1200 grit is just scratching it. Do I need a finer paper and if not what is the best way of getting a result worthy of my pride and joy - it was looking good before I rubbed it down!

cheers

Currently got two new front wings to go on my project. The paint is gun metal. I assume I have to rub down the colour coat with wet and dry, prior to laquering, but the 1200 grit is just scratching it. Do I need a finer paper and if not what is the best way of getting a result worthy of my pride and joy - it was looking good before I rubbed it down!

cheers

Rtbiscuit will be on hand to advise shortly I would suggest :thumbs:

Give it to a professional? Lol. Cant be much to get 2 wings sorted.

I'm poorly paid public servant (time rich at the moment but cash poor) who struggles to keep up with its appetite for super unleaded, never mind lashing out on bodyshop rates (i was quoted £500 cash plus i would have to supply/fit a new wing - if i cant make a decent job of it, i may have to go down that route.

Having said that, you're not the first to say that, inc my wife, dad etc etc

Give it to a professional? Lol. Cant be much to get 2 wings sorted.

I'm poorly paid public servant (time rich at the moment but cash poor) who struggles to keep up with its appetite for super unleaded, never mind lashing out on bodyshop rates (i was quoted £500 cash plus i would have to supply/fit a new wing - if i cant make a decent job of it, i may have to go down that route.

Having said that, you're not the first to say that, inc my wife, dad etc etc

Are they standard wings?

You should be looking at like £100!

yes, just standard wings in primer - the bodyshop reckoned he could repair one of them and paint it for £300, so i decided to replace both and have a go myself - i have done bits and pieces in the past, but not on anything as nice as the z

yes, just standard wings in primer - the bodyshop reckoned he could repair one of them and paint it for £300, so i decided to replace both and have a go myself - i have done bits and pieces in the past, but not on anything as nice as the z

£300 for 1 wing? :scare: I paid £370 for my front end respray, bonnet and front bumper, blended into both wings.

£300 for 1 wing? :scare: I paid £370 for my front end respray, bonnet and front bumper, blended into both wings.

WTF is he spraying it with ? Tiger blood ? :scare:

Seems i was about to be ripped off - this guy came recommended by a friend, albeit one with deeper pockets than mine (he uses him for his hill climb single seater). Anyway I've got the paint now and its a nice day out there, little wind and so ideal for painting your z bits in the garden

cheers - unfortunately i didnt see your post before i started painting and in the end i just cleaned off the overspray etc with a wet cloth - main problem is that the colour is not even close to a match. The rest of the car is mucky and the new laquer needs t-cutting once its hardened, but all can say is that its an improvement over the damaged panel!!!

not used photobucket before, here goes

http://i1349.photobu...zps37d484c6.jpg

20130727_072630_zpsff2773a8.jpg

like i said, not used photobucket before!

Edited by gareth29

Will bear that in mind, thanks. I have since found out that there are 3 different shades of gunmetal (code WV2) and the paint supplier didnt ask which one I wanted!? Sounds a bit silly! They have colour matched the paint from the old wing and have supplied 2 new tins of the correct shade. Painted the first one this aft - now have some rather fetching gunmetal patches on my lawn.

dont sand down the paint before you laquer it either, you'll knock the flake all over the place and end up with a matte finish. For metallic paint you will need to clear coat the panel while the base coat is still wet. Not sopping wet but maybe flash off the paint or 30 mins under a heater or leave for an hour so its still very slightly tacky otherwise the clear wont bond to the pain properly and it will flake off.