Cutting compound query

Ekona

Does that count as alliteration?

Anyway, after spending the day trying to get rid of some scratches on the Mini, I've hit a bit of a stalemate. The scratches aren't under the clear coat, and I've managed to get rid of them 95%, but there's still a 'shadow' of where they were. Crap description, I know, but I'm trying to portray just how minimal they are. They don't show in pics, else I'd post one.

I used my trusty DAS-6 along with a Lake Country constant pressure orange pad, and some Megs UC. I don't have anything more aggressive than this setup, and it's served me well for everything else I've attempted to correct including the 911. Clearly I need something more abrasive, but what?

I'm loathe to change pads as I get on very well with the LC range, so ideally I'd like someone to recommend me a compound that sits above the UC in terms of abrasiveness, but isn't too harsh so I'm likely to screw it up. I like the safety of a DA and using that + UC you absolutely cannot wreck the paint, however I've clearly found the limit of that.

Apologies for rambling a bit, but suggestions for something that would suit me would be appreciated. :)

I know you said you're happy with your current pads (I don't blame you, I'm a big fan of those pads myself) but have tried or considered the LC Hydro-Tech pads? They're better suited for hard paint and they're still LC pads.

And as above, a rotary would be more suitable for this too.

I use the Menzerna FF as a finishing polish which is great stuff, so may well give that IP a go.

So realistically, and working on the principle that I'm used to working with power tools in general and am very comfortable with a DA, how much chance is there of screwing something up completely with a rotary? I'm not against trying one, it's just nice to have the safety net on the DA.

What compounds in particular do you use Ian?

I know you said you're happy with your current pads (I don't blame you, I'm a big fan of those pads myself) but have tried or considered the LC Hydro-Tech pads? They're better suited for hard paint and they're still LC pads.

I must admit to looking, and if a tougher pad & more aggressive polish would work on a DA, then I'd consider switching. Cheaper than buying a rotary, at any rate.

I use the Menzerna FF as a finishing polish which is great stuff, so may well give that IP a go.

So realistically, and working on the principle that I'm used to working with power tools in general and am very comfortable with a DA, how much chance is there of screwing something up completely with a rotary? I'm not against trying one, it's just nice to have the safety net on the DA.

What compounds in particular do you use Ian?

if i was you i would try it first on the MX-5 (presuming your not that fussed about it) and see how it goes, i was a bit worried about using mine first time around but as long as you dont take the p*** it will be fine, just work all the compounds fully until they go clear and keep checking the temperature of the panels as you go.

If you're experienced with a DA you're ready for a rotary. Same principles but you have increased results and less agro. The rotary I have includes slow start, holds the pads better than a DA and just overall rewards better results.

A rotary is also cheaper than MEGS DA, so for me a rotary wins every time.

With a rotary gradually build the speed with confidence. Start with bonnet and practice then work door panels. Wings are the hardest but with practice and control you'll never use a DA again. When mine died I was so glad. I love my rotary at half the price of a MEGS DA.

Okay, I'm convinced!

I think Russ' idea of using the '5 as a sacrificial test bed is a good idea, so I'll grab that combo kit I think and see what happens.

That's guys, even though you've just convinced me to spend roughly 1000% more than I originally intended :(:lol:

Agreed the kit package thing is a good deal, especially when you look at compound and pad costs.

The Megs stuff does my head in, its amateur stuff. No disrespect but its a bit like halfords.

But then I still use the industrial sized Last Touch for my clay work. Otherwise I use none of Megs nowadays.

• Like 1

No disrespect taken :)

I tend to agree, I still use their blue pro clay though as I've yet to find anything better, but the UC has obviously hit it's limits. Oh, and I buy their Last Touch too, great stuff.

I did the Megs day that Tim organised when they sorted the bonnet on Darren's car, great results but it only sorted the swirls. That's pretty much why I started using it, as I'd seen first hand how to use it and what it can do. Onwards and upwards though.

I'm the same. Used UC for ages till I realised its capabilities. I now use Dodo Juice clay (medium) but its very tacky. Very good but like a rotary, you need some skill to apply it. Although I'll always recommend AutoGlym clay. Its a fantastic all rounder. Good for noobs and pro's. Flexible and manageable along with being purposeful. But my days have moved onto DD medium.

I was also at the same Megs day, was a good day out bar the snow.

Yep happy days up at Daventry although it didn't give me the detailing bug I guess it's just something you go into 100% or not at all, no point being half ar$ed :surrender:

they didnt really tell us anything new though i thought, just tried to sell us their stuff no surprise really

Edited by 350 Russ

• 6 months later...

Sooooo... dredging up an old thread since I still haven't bought one yet!

Any reason I cannot use pads from my current DAS unit on a rotary? I see no reason why not, but some places are advertising rotary-specific pads.

To be fair, as cheap as rotary pads are, I'd just invest, might cost you £30 for a selection of pads.

If the DAS pads have a lip like the Megs do, then you "might" have an issue, but to be fair, I'd still get some new decent rotary pads, a 3rd of the price of Megs.