vinyl wrapping in west london (offering a helping hand)

ddcboyle

If anyone is looking to vinyl wrap parts of their car, wether its roof, or whole car, and want to wrap it yourself instead of going to a garage, you can come round to my place on weekends and I can give you a hand with it :) im no expert, wrapped my 350z fully, mr2 fully and done a few roofs, including jumping350's 350z and impreza.

This is simply to give a hand to those new at wrapping and who havent tried it before and want some help.

Its not a business so dont worry about paying me :)

It just gives me something to do on weekends :)

Location is HA4 6NG, near uxbridge in greater eest london.

If your intrested, let me know and we can meet up :)

I Always read about people trying to wrap roofs, getting fed up and ripping it up. Alot of money wasted, so im here to give a helping hand :lol: I have squeegees and heatgun so you dont need to buy all the accessories.

For those who havent read, heres my thread (boring read but you get to see the process)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/59643-ddcboyles-project-ivy-diy-update-25th-june/

Even if you want to do it on your own, I can answer questions in detail

Dean

Edited by ddcboyle

What a lovely offer....

I will take you up on this, I am looking to wrap my roof.

I will pm you so you can point me towards the best wrap to buy ;p

EDIT - NOT GREEN WRAP. Gloss black pls ;p

Edited by Jaz 350z

What a lovely offer....

I will take you up on this, I am looking to wrap my roof.

I will pm you so you can point me towards the best wrap to buy ;p

EDIT - NOT GREEN WRAP. Gloss black pls ;p

You will agree gloss black, turn your back and it will be bogey green :headhurt:

Awesome offer :thumbs: I'd like to announce that I am also available to be borrowed for not a lot of stuff. Maybe tea making, possibly a chat, and maybe biscuits.

I've heard of wrap parties after a film is finished being filmed, but maybe we can bring a new meaning to it?!

Fabulous offer, which i have taken up many times lol does a great job i have 2 roofs to testify, if your down south give it a go i learnt a lot from deano

im usually on hand to mess something up so tea and biscuits would be a good diversion for me haha

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 2

Posts like this restore my faith in humanity and the great benefits a bit of 'community spirit' can bring to everyone. Good work Dean! :thumbs:

I'll be in touch re: wrapping my ENTIRE car white shortly... I hope you didn't have any plans for the summer!! :lol:

2654121_f520.jpg

Depends on the vinyl you chose to wrap the car in, the supplier you get it from. Materials could be £300 for your basic wraps to £2000 for the fancy chrome wraps.

Time depends on how handy you are and how many times you have to start over on a panel and the panel itself, difficult curves/edges will slow you down. For someone beginning I'd say it's about an hour for a fairly simple panel, but maybe I'm just slow.

For questions people have asked;

how much does it cost to wrap a whole car?

This depends purely upon experiance and how many mistakes you make. If you heat vinyl too much or catch it, it can tear which means throwing that piece away. I believe in total, ive spent nearly 700 on wrap, but thats because I was learning to wrap myself so wasted a hell of alot. Its the labour which garages charge for I believe, theres alot of work involved.

how long does it take?

again this depends on experiance, I always worked in a team of 2 for each panel, some can be done on your own. For example;

front fender: this was me and my friends first panel, and took 2hours, never wasted any excess vinyl.

Roof: I done on my own, makes it more awkward in a way, but took roughly 1hour 30.

bumper: done on my own, too difficult for one man job, as I had no1 to hold the vinyl upright whilst I pushed down. Took 2hour 30 and looked sucky. So I ripped it off recently and bought more vinyl.

The main labour is taking the panels off. This all depends on the quality of the finish. Some garages wont do it, and will show. Others wont take them off but have good wrappers to make it look good. in my case, I take all panels off. I.e., doing the rear bumper, I would remove the rear bumper, remove the indicator and reverse light, remove the tail lights, place back on, wrap, remove and fit the lights again. Most garages wont do this, I just find it easier.

Where do I get vinyl from?

I wouldnt recommend using ebay vinyl, jumping350 loves to order that stuff and make my life hell :lol: but id say go with eithet 3m or hexis. Ive only ever used hexis, so can only vouch for them. It is 100x better than ebay vinyl but it comes at a price. Per metre, your looking at 20-30 per metre for standard gloss colours, and if your going for chrome, im sure thats going to be more :lol: I order my vinyl from RTbiscuit (RTcustomz)

Can I colour match my paint?

no, vinyl and paint both shine and look like paint, but next to one another you can see a difference. Vinyl is more glossy when clean, but gets dirtier faster.

I have scuffs and chips, will vinyl cover it?

I have stone chips on my bonnet, and their not too obvious, but you can still recognize its not 100% flush. As for scuffa, vinyl will cover that.

basically, if you can feel it with ur finger, it will show with vinyl. I have a piece of arm hair on one of my panels, that shows up alot when ur up close.

All in all, nobody has ever came upto me and asked if it was wrapped, they all thought it was a paint job. Wether thats because im soooo god damn good, or because they dont know what vinyl is. Doing it yourself is cheaper, and I.m.o a better outcome rather than taking a risl on certain garages. I took my front bumper to TMC London ( a vinyl wrapping garage) and for those who have seen my car, will most likely agree, every one of my panels is better than the work theyve done. Currently going through credit card dispute with them, alot of hastle.

If you are going to go with a wrapping garage, make sure its one who you know people will recommend. Too many cowboy garages out there to risk it for the sake of 200pound between a cheap garage and good garage

As for scuffa, vinyl will cover that.

Is that the new down with the kids version? :lol:

For some reason, if I type something wrong and dont change it, my phone remembers it and decides that predictive text will be full of my incorrect words... lol

• Like 1

That's the more extreme version of spending half an hour looking for the TV remote because you're too lazy to walk 4 metres to use the buttons on the TV :lol:

I got an app on my phone that works as a remote for the tv...

Im making myself look bad here :lol:

Im free this sunday if anyone is wanting bits wrapped, or to see my car do you can get an idea of how vinyl looks

If anyone is looking to vinyl wrap parts of their car, wether its roof, or whole car, and want to wrap it yourself instead of going to a garage, you can come round to my place on weekends and I can give you a hand with it :) im no expert, wrapped my 350z fully, mr2 fully and done a few roofs, including jumping350's 350z and impreza.

This is simply to give a hand to those new at wrapping and who havent tried it before and want some help.

Its not a business so dont worry about paying me :)

It just gives me something to do on weekends :)

Location is HA4 6NG, near uxbridge in greater eest london.

If your intrested, let me know and we can meet up :)

I Always read about people trying to wrap roofs, getting fed up and ripping it up. Alot of money wasted, so im here to give a helping hand :lol: I have squeegees and heatgun so you dont need to buy all the accessories.

For those who havent read, heres my thread (boring read but you get to see the process)

http://www.350z-uk.c...date-25th-june/

Even if you want to do it on your own, I can answer questions in detail

Dean

You 4got to mention you are 10 foot tall which helps when wrapping a roof!!

That's the more extreme version of spending half an hour looking for the TV remote because you're too lazy to walk 4 metres to use the buttons on the TV :lol:

Im free this sunday if anyone is wanting bits wrapped, or to see my car do you can get an idea of how vinyl looks

You said you were doing stuff hence not coming to Japfest!! Naughty man!

You said you were doing stuff hence not coming to Japfest!! Naughty man!

Haha I dont lie :D im having a bbq at 12, but free after that. The majority of time I wrap during the night. For some reason I have more energy at midnight. Im like an owl :lol:

Thats because as squaddies we do most of out work at night:)

:lol: little minions of the military

More vinyl wrap arrived today, so time to crack on with the rear bumper. If I can remember, ill record a video for you guys to see :)