Roadster or Coupe

maxi-glasgow

100% percent agree that with roof up a Coupe is a million times nicer, but that opinion then flips when you take the roof down as roadster then looks by far the nicest.

Her indoors is completely against a roadster so that will probably be my deciding factor in definitely getting a roadster after all :D

damn it! I'm selling my coupe and judging by your name it would be super close for a sell :stir:;)

Quick question to current Roadster owners, I see some photo's of Roadsters with their hoods down and some show a little piece of glass which seems to come up just behind headrests but I wondered if this was an option and isn't standard on all Roadsters as I don't notice it in all photo's??

It's a wind deflector, and it's standard on all AFAIK. I've never seen one without, got a pic?

Now I can't find what I'm talking about :lol:

Every advert I seem to look at don't have photo's with roof down....why when your selling a convertible would you not post photo's with roof down!!!!

Having never owned a convertible I was interested to know if any owners the same as myself who had got one regretted it...

If the current Roadster owners had came on and said they would never get another one, or they wish they got a coupe when I would know to steer clear.

Thanks for your concern though :p

Just reading back my original post, how exactly would I know the answers to the questions I asked?

So what I wanted to ask is what peoples opinions are of the roadster, is it a lot noisier? Do you lose any of the already small boot space with it being a convertible? Any other drawbacks to having a convertible than a coupe? Are the hoods usually in good condition or is there anything I should look out for that's a common fault?

Edited by maxi-glasgow

Having never owned a convertible I was interested to know if any owners the same as myself who had got one regretted it...

If the current Roadster owners had came on and said they would never get another one, or they wish they got a coupe when I would know to steer clear.

Thanks for your concern though :p

Just reading back my original post, how exactly would I know the answers to the questions I asked?

So what I wanted to ask is what peoples opinions are of the roadster, is it a lot noisier? Do you lose any of the already small boot space with it being a convertible? Any other drawbacks to having a convertible than a coupe? Are the hoods usually in good condition or is there anything I should look out for that's a common fault?

Still other peoples opinions though :shrug:

Everyone could say it's fantastic, then you find it is crap.... only way to find out is drive one and see for yourself :p

for me my decision to get a roadster (my first ever ragtop car) was based on what i was going to use it for.... its a weekend toy that come out when the weathers nice or we have a nice place to drive to for the day / weekend / long weekend abroad.

on that basis i decided to go for the ragtop as it was only going to get used when the weather was good anyway so i might as well make the most of the weather and get the roof down while using it. if it was going to be a daily driver i might think differently... that said after buying and enjoying the roadster we went out and bought another soft top for the misses to use everyday (BMW 1 series) as she loves a bit of roof top driving. i cant see us being without a soft top in the stable from now on.

as for the difference in handling...... good luck noticing any difference on the road. the 350 is a very solid soft top with no noticable scuttle shake and can certainly handle all you are going to throw at it on the public highways. if i was going to regularly track the car i would prob get a coupe but more for the safety aspect rather than the handling as i wouldnt much fancy rolling a roadster

in asnswer to your questions

is it a lot noisier?

roof up.. yes you do hear more wind noise than you do in a coupe but with the roof down its a lot noiser in a very good way!!!!!

Do you lose any of the already small boot space with it being a convertible?

yes you do. the roadster has a small boot but you can get a suprising amount of stuff in it and it also has some very useful storage space inside the cabin behind the passenger seat (wine bottles fit in there perfectly!)

Any other drawbacks to having a convertible than a coupe?

if left to stand for a long time over winter you can get moisture problems but i keep some of the moisture crystals in the car to stop this. the roof CAN be tempramental and will only go down when its above between 5 to 10 degrees. obviously there are motors in the roof as well as many moving parts all of which could fail

Are the hoods usually in good condition or is there anything I should look out for that's a common fault?

depends how well they have been looked after. look for the stitching coming aprt on the rear seam. look on the inside above your head there is a metal rail with some tags on it which has also been a known failing point. as the seller what they treated the roof with. if you get a comprehensive cleaning and treating regime (usually Autoglym) followed byt them telling you the places to treat with silicone lube then its safe to say its been well looked after

any of the above help?

Thanks SteveM, very concise answers.

I am in exactly the same boat now, diesel barge for commuting during the week and this will only be used at weekends when weather is at least half decent.

Never been in this position before, only ever owned one car and I would rack up the miles. Got the 370 a year past March with 800 miles on it and sold it last Thursday with 30k on it.....

have you driven both the hardtop and the soft top? at least go and have a test and see if you like either more than the other.

if the did a GTR soft top!!!!! now thats a car i would save up for!!!!! there have been a few mock ups done....

Orange-1024x768.jpg

Edited by SteveM

have you driven both the hardtop and the soft top? at least go and have a test and see if you like either more than the other.

if the did a GTR soft top!!!!! now thats a car i would save up for!!!!! there have been a few mock ups done....

Orange-1024x768.jpg

I don't like the look of that at all, reminds me of a modded Volvo. :shrug: Might look better in the flesh though, perhaps some pods behind the seats like on the 350 would help make it look sportier.

I used to own a hardtop a couple of years ago. Put 50,000 miles on in my two years ownership.

Only time I've been in a 350 convertible was Zmanalex on some passenger laps round knockhill so hardly gives me any basis of comparison when your going round a track faster than you think is humanely possible, holding onto the door handle for dear life :blush:

Edited by maxi-glasgow

Only two roadsters on Autotrader in my price bracket, one in Hemel Hempstead at a traders, asked him to come down £150 and only willing to come down £90, has not tax so asked if they will put 6 months tax on it and I'll even pay full price and still hummed and hawed.

So spoke to the other one which is a private sale, lady owner, needed her to come down about £300 and she agreed, has full years MOT, just done it's service, just done 72k miles, 6 months tax on it and she is based in Coventry but if it will help me she can drive it all the way up to her friends at Lancaster as I'll be driving down from Glasgow.....

Getting a few photos sent to me tonight of the problem spot on the roof identified by SteveM so i don't have a wasted journey.

So all looking good so far....

Wish I was picking it up tonight....

One thing i love about the roadster is the cold air conditioning seats. Down side is it leaves you feeling like you just wet yourself but at least its cold

Cold air conditioning seats? Is that a 370 only thing or have I just not found that yet?