shell petrol

stuey

In my spare time I'm a driver for an accident hire company.

Legally if you are not at fault in an accident, then you are entitled to a similar spec car to your own, and not the standard 'corsa' type car.

This does occasionally open up some nice opportunities :yahoo:

In my spare time I'm a driver for an accident hire company.

Legally if you are not at fault in an accident, then you are entitled to a similar spec car to your own, and not the standard 'corsa' type car.

This does occasionally open up some nice opportunities :yahoo:

Anyone I might know of? :)

When I had my M3 there were lots of discussions on the M3 Forum as to whether or not you should run it on Optimax as it was then, or standard supermarket, some swore they could tell the difference but to be honest i couldn't tell any difference at all and run it on the latter, although I have only used 'super' unleaded in the Zed up to now.

The Zed engine can adjust the ignition timing forward and backwards to compensate for the fuel type, as such it will try and optimise the performance , hence you will not really notice any difference in performance .

Advancing the ignition timing ( higher RON) i think will make the combustion process more efficient and maybe provide some improvement in power or fuel economy...

Ferrari's (well italian cars ) i think you will find are designed to run on 95 ... as I remember from my old times in Honda... old Accord type R and integras suffered as they needed to run on 98 RON but italy had only 95 RON...(this is going back 4 years or so...) and the ignition timing could not compensate very well for the lower end of 95 RON fuels... ( no problems or anything but not running as H wanted it...)

In summary ... everyday running will have no difference running 95 and 98 RON... engine can tolerate perfectly well 95 RON...

if you want to guarantee absolute optimum performance ( track day etc... ) refuel a couple of times in advance of the track day with top stuff ... and perhaps reset the ECU.

When I first got the Z I did a few detailed checks on the fuel economy. I found a small but significant improvement when I used the higher octane fuel, and have been using it most of the time since.

I mostly use Shell V-Power, but I now have the option of Tesco, since they have eventually introduced the 99 octane fuel to my local forecourt. :thumbs:

I think it only give below 5% increase in power, I am now not fussed what I fill up with.

The speed of the car will always be down to driving style and the size of the gonads.

15PS according to Nissan from the other link I posted......

I've used either Tesco or Shell since new (36k miles). 95% Tesco and 5% Shell - cant feel enough difference in the two apart from price, plus, I'm old enough to remember Shell have produced two "super" formulations that have caused long term engine damage. They've probably learnt their lesson now but I'm risk averse!

I think you get marginal improvement in fuel consumption... in theory...

70 litre tank

95pence for 95 RON = 66.5 pounds

99pence for 98 RON = 68.6 pounds

4 p difference x 70, 280pence... = 3litres extra of fuel...of 95RON

3 litres at 19mpg 95RON gives 12.6 miles extra

but ...if you improve the fuel consumption with 98 RON by 1mpg...

95 RON and 19mpg and 70 litres = 19x(70/4.5)= 294 miles

98 RON and 20mpg and 70 litres = 310 miles

If you can get 1mpg more with the better fuel you could get an extra 16miles per tank...

The difference (12.5 extra miles running on 95 or 16 miles extra running on better fuel...) is minimal... and that's if you can get 1 mpg extra performance ...

Captain geek has now put the calculator down... :blush:

i ran 95 when i first got my import and it ran realy rough! since then i always used either tesco99, v-power or bp ultimate, i even refuse to use tesco97, it runs so much smoother now. im sure the filler cap on mine has a sticker on saying 97 or above. i'll never use 95 again. to be fair the civic-R was tuned for uk95 fuel so the benefits wouldnt be as noticeable