which tyres to buy

ddcboyle

I understand theres mixed opiniond on tyres and I know that the cheap random brand tyres are a waste of money.

But does anyone have a link or know which tyres are best for certain driving.

My zed came with bridgestone potenza 040, crappy tyres I think. Replaced all with verdersrein ultrac sessentas. Good tyre I.m.o.

Pilot sport 2 and 3 are supposedly the best but my friends have now switched to verdersteins as they believe they offer better grip.

So, my driving is always off track, I dont race round corners on the road. The only time I really use the 3.5 is in straight lines. No use buying top of the top range tyres for this. So what are..

Good tyres for your daily driver..

good tyres for daily driver but looking to enjoy certain roads

Purely pointless buying 200pound tyres if you drive like you have a 1.0 ford ka. But again, 50pound tyres arent going to grip if your in the rain on the motorway bends.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Check here for some decent reviews.

IVe read these before, its what made me choose vred tyres. But it says vreds are mid range, potenza 040 are premium. Even though 040 have terrible reviews and majority of people are driving a ford mondeo, not quite the same.

Although the link is good for getting general idea of wear and usability in rain

IVe read these before, its what made me choose vred tyres. But it says vreds are mid range, potenza 040 are premium. Even though 040 have terrible reviews and majority of people are driving a ford mondeo, not quite the same.

Although the link is good for getting general idea of wear and usability in rain

Which is precisely why that site is rubbish. It's asking people who have no clue what they're talking about what they think about tyres, and usually when people spend more they justify it by saying what they bought was great.

For what you're after, the VUS is perfect. Looks good, plenty of feel in the wet, well priced. I wouldn't consider anything lower on a 300bhp coupe, put it that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, ill stick to vreds if their best for my current driving.

On a plus note, cheapest place ive found for tyres is "Ruislip tyres", ideal for me since I live 5minutes away. Their 10pound cheaper than camskill and that includes delivery and fitting.

I paid 130 for vred front tyre and included all the usual tyre change stuff

EDit: turns out camskill recently put %off tyres... so ignore this post at the moment :lol:

Edited by ddcboyle

Which is precisely why that site is rubbish. It's asking people who have no clue what they're talking about what they think about tyres, and usually when people spend more they justify it by saying what they bought was great.

Sounds like someone I know. :lol:

Seriously unless youve ordered then I wouldn't go for VUS. They are decent but they are far far to soft and wear out way to quick. So a more expensive tyre like a eagle f1 or mpss is more expensive but you get more grip, double the life and they don't hydro plane like the VUS.

Sounds like someone I know. :lol:

Seriously unless youve ordered then I wouldn't go for VUS. They are decent but they are far far to soft and wear out way to quick. So a more expensive tyre like a eagle f1 or mpss is more expensive but you get more grip, double the life and they don't hydro plane like the VUS.

All 4 are vus, had to buy another a week ago due to puncture. Im looking at gettin some 19" soon though.

Mpss, is that mich pilot sport or one up from it? Vreds were supposedly meant to be good in the rain?

They are ok in the wet. Ok. That's IMO. Also they dont deal well with standing water.

Mpss is super sports. Both super sports and eagle f1s are a much much better tyres as they deal with standing water better, better dry grip and they last much longer. So even though your spending more upfront you dont need to change them as often.

Ekona knows his tires :p

Don't think about tyres as just for going round corners. If they fail you while you braking then you will regret not spending an extra £200 when you paying the repair. Get the best you can afford. I went for the mpss, worked out £50 more per tyre than the shitty falkens I had on before.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, ill stick to vreds if their best for my current driving.

On a plus note, cheapest place ive found for tyres is "Ruislip tyres", ideal for me since I live 5minutes away. Their 10pound cheaper than camskill and that includes delivery and fitting.

I paid 130 for vred front tyre and included all the usual tyre change stuff

EDit: turns out camskill recently put %off tyres... so ignore this post at the moment :lol:

If your in Ruislip - give Pitstop Tyres (Clayton Rd? in Hayes) a call. If they cannot beat your prices, try Southall Discount Tyres. These two garages have always been unbeatable in my experience. Pitstop also have a Hunter Laser Alignment rig.

Avon zz3 on mine are a really good improvement over the RE50s, noise wise quiter and grip both wet and dry much better. I got a full set for circa £550.

Would definitely recommend.

Edited by flexib

I replaced the Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The car never felt safe in the rain with the Bridgestones. The MPSS transform the car. The road noise is consderably reduced and the ride is more comfortable. And as for grip, they are sublime in the wet and dry. For me, the extra cost if worth it for the increased safety.

They are ok in the wet. Ok. That's IMO. Also they dont deal well with standing water.

Mpss is super sports. Both super sports and eagle f1s are a much much better tyres as they deal with standing water better, better dry grip and they last much longer. So even though your spending more upfront you dont need to change them as often.

How often?

How much longer do MPSS last over the other options, is the question being posed.

A lot, is the answer. I'd estimate somewhere near 1.5 to 2 times as longer lasting.

So, I got just under 20k miles on my Vreds which I thought was bad and you're

suggesting that I could get as much as 40k miles on MPSS?

Front or rear? 20K on the rears is quite frankly staggering, but assuming everything else stays the same then yes, you could see that kind of mileage out of a set of MPSS. As well as better grip, feel, noise etc.