Insurance for 18 year old on a 350z?

rob_t

Are those of you who are insuring high performance cars below the age of 25, putting additional drivers onto their insurance in order to lower the premium? Only reason I ask is because at 22, I tried to insure myself on a TVR Chimaera and the only way I could get insurance below 5k was by adding my 50 year old dad as a driver. I also remember trying to get a quote for a Renault 5 Gordini turbo at 17 and being laughed off the phone by the rep, but that's a different story.

Yes I put my mum and dad on mine to bring it down. just had a renewal in for 850 2 year ncb I am 23. was about 1100 with it at 22 1 year ncb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I've only noticed them now as I kind of gave up on my search for insurance on the z!

I've got the insignia until the end of August (as my insurance is up then and my premium is £4500 which I'm not willing to pay again - I paid it for my 3.2 Audi TT last year and the insignia).

I love them still but there's no way I'm going to get the insurance.. so to save money I think I'm getting a BMW 120d Coupe... lets hope it doesn't bore me too much compared to the insignia :(

I have been told by Admiral that as a driver of a fairlady z imported from Japan full of mods will need at least 2 years of driving and ncb,I am 29 now with 8 years ncb and pay about 700£ on a supped up car...my biggest problem is I have bought an x5 as well for family and cannot use any ncb there...utter rubbish....

Perhaps there are other reasons it is so high. Location, use, mileage, where it'll be kept, local crime rate statistics?

When I was first doing online quotes I used bogus email/name/address/telephone to prevent the deluge of marketing calls (all while I was just costing up ownership - way before buying).

So perhaps pick a few "alternative" addresses (not necessarily local area) to see if that's having an impact?

• 3 weeks later...

I once heard that saying you keep your car in the garage (if its attached to the house) insurance can be more expensive, car catches fire, burns down the house, house insurers claim off the car insurers,

Could be an old wives tale ?