Turbo, What's involved - MCM video

CrumbMC

I thought I would post this as a rough guide to anyone who has no idea about putting FI on a car.

Obviously there are some vehicle specific differences. ie, most turbo kits for the Z have twin setups but maybe this will help to reduce the number of questions posted. Also the full length versions are a good watch.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Steering column is on the opposite side ....

you need a lot of space for all the extra pipework for a Turbo setup - if you get one for a left hand drive it may not clear :)

Ahh ok thanks, but surely pipework is cheap and can be fabricated easily to suit? Or is the cost difference between a RHD and LHD setup the same? Just heard that RHD are hard to get a hold of because mostly US based kits..

Would love to turbo a none turbo car at one point. I'd really like to do a s2k actually.

When we had our S2000's two of my mates had MASE mapped turbo S2000's.

Due to the fantastic forged OEM internals in the F20 it's not too much trouble to do this and run big boost.

540whp and boost by gear made these the quickest things I have ever been in, not the fastest (M6 wins this) but the quickest wiz bang acceleration I have ever witnessed.

Still love S2000's.

9krpm and boost. What's not to like plus I never realised you could get that much power from one.

Mine was NA but tuned and ran sold power to 9800rpm, VTEC at 2800rpm, just needed better springs, but then that's race tune spec valve train.

They run these super high boost in the States, build them to hit 700whp, then retire them FFS.

My mates cars were daily's and track cars, lol.

That sounds epic. Are there many boosted s2ks about? They seem to be able to take a lot of power abd they are light. Or does the boost mess with the pureness of it e.g. I'd rather have a 350bhp n/a then a 400bhp boosted generally. But I want a turbo nutter car to get it out of my system.

Anything else you did to your s2k?

That sounds epic. Are there many boosted s2ks about?

Loads mate, the cost per pony seems to push a lot of people that way, they charge them too which works well. Something I looked at.

Anything else you did to your s2k?

Yeah, lol.

The thing with the S2000 is that Honda over engineered the F20 engine soooo much it's very hard to eek any extra NA horses from it unless you have super deep pockets.

It really was developed to bring the best out of the whole package, despite being heavy the OEM exhaust system is pretty good.

I was running a full Mugen exhaust system, K&N forced air system and AEM EMS on a JDM(more power than UKDM) car.

Once mapped that gave me about 20hp more than the standard car I pushed in, so that's nearly £4000 for 20 hp, lol.

For the same outlay I could have had a boosted S2000 and well, where do you want to go from there really :lol: .

For me the S2000 is a NA motor, much like my 370Z, if I wanted boost, I'd go boost.

I love the raw NA sound you get from Honda engines, all the way to the red line, roof down, sun out, B road blasting with that Mugen system singing was epic.

This is me (for the sound) going over the start/finish at Spa one year..

• Like 1

Do you think boosting the s2k would ruin it?

No mate, it would be cool, I would have, I just got tired of coilovers and an old car (mine was a '99 import) I wanted something more refined and fresher that I could still track and **** about in, so I spent my money on a 370Z.

The car is very well balanced from the off and being RWD it will cope with the extra 200hp+ much better than say a FWD car.

Also, the chassis on the S2000 is great, so again, it can handle the hike well, no point in bracing these things either, solid as, although I think under bracing is the only way to improve it as opposed to top mount, they just don't do anything to it.

These are proper cheap now, when/if you buy, try and get a GT version with the hardtop and make sure the geo bushes have been greased recently as its very common for them to seize and can be costly to sort out.

Let me know if you need any info come buy, I'll be able to help out man.

Now, on a similar but different route, my mate just imported a sweet as a nut OEM S15 (Silvia) now that's a crazy boost car.

Old school turbo RWD drift machine, stunning, crazy car :lol: .

• Like 1

Do you think boosting the s2k would ruin it?

No mate, it would be cool, I would have, I just got tired of coilovers and an old car (mine was a '99 import) I wanted something more refined and fresher that I could still track and **** about in, so I spent my money on a 370Z.

The car is very well balanced from the off and being RWD it will cope with the extra 200hp+ much better than say a FWD car.

Also, the chassis on the S2000 is great, so again, it can handle the hike well, no point in bracing these things either, solid as, although I think under bracing is the only way to improve it as opposed to top mount, they just don't do anything to it.

These are proper cheap now, when/if you buy, try and get a GT version with the hardtop and make sure the geo bushes have been greased recently as its very common for them to seize and can be costly to sort out.

Let me know if you need any info come buy, I'll be able to help out man.

Now, on a similar but different route, my mate just imported a sweet as a nut OEM S15 (Silvia) now that's a crazy boost car.

Old school turbo RWD drift machine, stunning, crazy car :lol: .

Thanks for into mate really appriated. Something for me to look into :thumbs:

• Like 1

Steering column is on the opposite side ....

you need a lot of space for all the extra pipework for a Turbo setup - if you get one for a left hand drive it may not clear :)

Ahh ok thanks, but surely pipework is cheap and can be fabricated easily to suit? Or is the cost difference between a RHD and LHD setup the same? Just heard that RHD are hard to get a hold of because mostly US based kits..

Pipework really isnt that cheap. Especially if your buying lots of aluminum bends etc, Then theres lots of labour welding them. Definately not for a person not familar with mechanics.

Also I would never tap a return into the block like the video shows without cleaning out properly.