Acceptable? Your advice / thoughts?

neo-ninja

i'd love to see a pay rise, we've been on a pay freeze for nearly 5 years now, as colin said if you take into account the raise in inflation and living costs i'd say my pay is been cut by 2.5% every year for the last 5 years. and my responsibilites have gone up. there are also talk of redundancy and changes to the pay structure for purely performance only related gains.

at the end of the day i'm happy i have a job that keeps the fuel in my tank and the roof over my head, and i keep my eye open for suitable promotions that would give me the pay increas i want.

Like rt I've had a pay freeze, for 3 years and this year we got 1%. I'm also supposed to get a yearly increment and that has been frozen for the last 2.

The government, who make the decisions about my pay, when they have time between trying to sort out there£10 - 20000 pay rises are trying there hardest to **** up our pensions aswell.

While they are doing this I am potentially risking my life for other people, working shifts, dealing with the scum this fine country has to offer and having my shifts changed and days off cancelled with little or no notice.

I enjoy what I do though so stick with it, for now.

I would think myself lucky if I was you.

Like rt I've had a pay freeze, for 3 years and this year we got 1%. I'm also supposed to get a yearly increment and that has been frozen for the last 2.

The government, who make the decisions about my pay, when they have time between trying to sort out there£10 - 20000 pay rises are trying there hardest to **** up our pensions aswell.

While they are doing this I am potentially risking my life for other people, working shifts, dealing with the scum this fine country has to offer and having my shifts changed and days off cancelled with little or no notice.

I enjoy what I do though so stick with it, for now.

I would think myself lucky if I was you.

You get days off!!!! Only joking :D

Most are in your situation mate, frozen pay, cost of living rising etc....and cant really see it changing anytime soon.

Maybe the OP works higher up the food chain than most :stir: :stir:or was getting paid peanuts to begin with.

Edited by aidan

I didn't even give myself a raise this year. Or last. :(

Did give one of our guys a 10% raise last month though, just because he's been awesome and worked his nuts off so deserved a bit more I thought. He didn't ask for it either.

• Like 3

Ever thus is the cycle of economics and employment I'm afraid. You've worked hard, you've got a bonus and a slight salary increase, although not as much as you'd hoped for.

Lesson 1. Nobody ( no company) is going to take all the risk, leverage itself in multiple ways, invest time and money (in materials, marketing, training, customer relationships, development, technology etc) and put themselves out by stretching the ability of the business to maximise profitability and income and give you the cream of the crop, it just doesn't work that way.

A well run organisation will have multiple timescale plans, 3 month, 6 month, yearly, 3 year, 5 year, 10 year etc to reach their business goals. It may be that the profits reaped now and so widely discussed and talked about are already ear-marked for business plans running years in to the future. Its not realistic that the money is sloshing around in a big bucket somewhere, or that the CEO has made a throne out of £50 notes.

If you feel you've worked hard, done well, met the requirements set down for you in your development plan then speak to your line manager. Explain you're pleased you've got the bonus and pay rise. Then explain how you'd like to see that pay rise increase next year. Say you'd like to work on plans in your area to help the team (and him / her) to exceed the department targets, aims to get the best out of future opportunities for the business, reduce wastage and costs etc.

This way you're indicating you understand the decision this time, but that you're also aware you have the opportunity to influence that decision in the future. You're showing you are keen to put the effort in for the organisation and for your own benefit, talk about targets, talk about measures (make sure they are challenging but acheivable etc). Then set off for the next 12, 18 or 24 months in meeting that target, which is measurable and reward driven by an additional bonus / salary increase for the team (not just you, everyone has to benefit).

See how that is received, make them understand your worth, understand what you can bring and what they'll lose if you go. Can they afford to lose you.....make them think they can't. Then see if they meet their end of the bargain, if you don't think they will then look elsewhere, look for a new opportunity. You lose nothing by being positive and offering a forward thinking alternative to them.

However, this is critical, make sure any agreement is concrete, measurable, stretching but realistic. If they agree to that approach then you could be on to a winner, both financially but also in terms of the organisations view of you. If you think they're taking the 'urine' then smile, work hard and get on with things. Just make sure you keep your eyes open for another opportunity which is right for you and then make the jump when it appears.

Or you could just go in to the office on Tuesday next week, head to your line manager and say "Do One" and walk out and find something else to do instead, perhaps chase the money in the other opportunity maybe, as you've been made the offer.

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1