Type R to 350z .....help !!!

SteveRM

Am obviously new to this site and hope this is the correct section to put this in, but I was wondering if any of you could give me your advice/thoughts,

I have a civic Type R at the moment and very seriously looking at a 350z, but I need some advice on running costs.

Insurance and road tax is pretty much the same and there isn't much difference in MPG, but was wondering if things like servicing and tyres etc are going to make me poor? And are there any things to look out for when buying one ? I will have a look at the forum now just to look a few things up but was just keen to get a bit of advice.

Cheers steve

After having a 98 spec type R Integra.. theres no going back for me now... the Z is a whole different enjoyment factor . . From the grumblings of the 3.5V6 to that amazing pull from all that torque

3rd gear 20mph put ur foot down and hold on.

The type r as you know needs to be on the boil in the high lift cam range to feel that

Running costs

I dont honestly think its any worse just know decent tyres start at 150 quid each (just example)

Infact dare I say I got worse mpg in the teggy well lol Vtec yo :-D

Honestly go test drive 1

After having a 98 spec type R Integra.. theres no going back for me now... the Z is a whole different enjoyment factor . . From the grumblings of the 3.5V6 to that amazing pull from all that torque

3rd gear 20mph put ur foot down and hold on.

The type r as you know needs to be on the boil in the high lift cam range to feel that

Running costs

I dont honestly think its any worse just know decent tyres start at 150 quid each (just example)

Infact dare I say I got worse mpg in the teggy well lol Vtec yo :-D

Honestly go test drive 1

Cheers for that , have this week off work so think I will go and have a look a one. Was quite surprised with the MPG when I was doing a bit of research ,like you say not a great deal of difference.

Yeah I am getting a bit bored of the type R in terms of having to hit the V-tec to get anything out of it and just feels like your thrashing it.

I have had a type r a few vti's and a b18 ek and currently own a 350z I love them all for different reasons if I was on a budget to tune a car it would be Honda all the way if your happy with the 350z standard power then that's good but if your planning tuning it or big power have a look at tuning costs.

Cheers Tom, yeh I kept my ep3 standard, often thought about getting a jrsc fitted as I didn't fancy spending loads of money on all different bits and not getting / feeling much of a difference , pretty much a "all or nothing " mind set.

Think I will keep it standard in terms of power as it is perfect for what i want and I am looking to get a all round decent looking car inside and out.

As nice as the honda is I would like a car with a decent interior for a change.

Personally I think the the 350z interior is naff and Hondas are better made (this is just my opinion by the way) I thought the ep3 was well made and looked great with the final phase recaros I think the standard type r seats are naff though. Best thing is go for a test drive n make your own mind up. I will say this though the zed is comfy

Yeh don't get me wrong I love a track day, but being 23 the 350 is my limit when it comes to the insurance side of things in terms of power so I will be happy with that for a few years , but as you say I think I need to take one for a test drive A SAP

Just out of interest what made you change and get a Z ?

For me running costs seem very reasonable.

Just had my 8yr old zed serviced.

Got the bigger P2 service, brake fluid changed including MOT......£195 all in supplying my own oil though.

Even the oil was cheap.

Castrol edge 5w30 was only £24 for 4 litres at Costco.

You need to check the inner brake pads on these though.

Outer ones may appear to have plenty of meat but inner ones often wear faster leading to premature disc damage.

Exhaust can corrode easily between back box and mid pipe, but a Scorpion cat back is only about £350.

Loads of other good info on what to check on here.

Good luck and welcome to the OC.

Edited by HEADPHONES

Came from a JDM VTEC 4th Gen Honda Prelude, such different animals.

Loved the four wheel steer on the Lude and the dash being on one level the whole width, but it was starting to look dated.

I always liked the 350Z so once the prices came down I took the plunge and haven't looked back since.

The only real danger that involves high cost with the Zed is if you contract Zeditis, then you're in real trouble ;)

• Like 1

The only real danger that involves high cost with the Zed is if you contract Zeditis, then you're in real trouble wink.gif

you know, now ive bought the car, i wouldnt mind the following

nismo exhaust £1500 new

Deep dish alloys with Michelins roughly £2000

ok so 2 items in ive destroyed 3 and a half K

obv i could halve that with second hand

so yes Zeditus is real! so far im keeping her or it at bay by going slightly OCD with detailing lol!

not to mention new sound system

aftermarket induction

coilovers

ahh

• Like 1

I chose the zed because you don't see them every day unlike type R's and i thought i could tune it to big power but seeing the cost to build a high power zed i was wrong not to mention i don;t like the build quality either. To be honest mate i will be going back to Honda at some point they might not be as fast out the box as the zed but for me there the nuts i know them inside out and even built 2 of my own from scratch and helped build many more there reliable cheap and capable when tuned. I wont be going for anything with a k20 for me it has to be the B series.

TBH mate it depends on what your after in a car and if you do research as Tom didn't then do then you will realise the Z is a bugger to get performance out of engine wise with out serious money is spent . But if your looking for a car that drives great out of the box the Z has it but remember it's a GT car not a track monster unless you have money to spend. Drive one and judge for yourself do you want a boys toy or a driver's car ;) . I come from faster cars than the Z I now own but am having so much more fun in this but if your looking for a cheap car to mod performance wise BHP this is not it . If though your wanting to mod it style wise then go for it as there are some great looking members members Zeds out there there and a lot of choice without to much outlay.

I also chose the Z because I don't see them every day but wasn't concerned about more power otherwise I'd be driving an RS4 TBH no mods there and AWD.

I will get kicked in the teeth for this but can't see the point in buying a 280 bhp car and spending money turning it into a 450bhp car as I'd much rather buy the 450bhp car made to run that power to start with :blush: .

I spent £3.5K on my wheels and tyres alone when I bought them new scared.gif

i can see how thats easily done, tbf i only had a quick mock up price on topgear website, tbh probably not what id go for, but even then thats 2000k on lesser known names etc or cheaper names

edit, as i dont want to hijack the thread lol! i give a thumbs up for the OP to go test driving a Z!

Edited by Sempiternal

Coming from a Type R I'd never look back either.

If you go with a 313 model the power is definitely noticeably 'up' and the interior is nicer too...

And running costs wise - the zed is much cheaper in insurance - my Accord type R was £800 a year. The Zed is £400.

Tyres on the type R's vs the Zed - you're talking similar wear rates but bigger tyres on the zed + it is more tyre sensitive so slightly more expensive.

Other similar angle is reliability - the zed is very reliable and I know the honda 'never opened an engine' thing turns some people on, but how many gearbox problems do they have?! Lol

I made the change from EP3 type r to 350z a couple of months back.

Can honestly say the MPG doesnt differ that much- long as you use cruise control for longer journeys!

I found tyres not too much more pricey either- about £150 per corner on type r, and have seen prices around £200 per corner for the 350 (for decent tyres of course)

Most importantly- Ive never looked back! Youll love the V6 grumble even compared to the VTec howl and its a decent power boost ;)

Tax sucks though....