Will 265/40R18 fit on rear rays?

Arran

Yesterday whilst fitting coilovers I found a nail in my rear tyre :( got conti sport contact 3 in 245/45r18 at the moment but wondering if 265/40r18 pilot super sports will fit on the stock rear rays, believe they are 8.5j

Anybody know?

I think they'll fit, but I also think they'll look a bit bulbous or fat. I have 275 on a 10.5" rim and there isn't much stretch at all. On a rim 2" slimmer I think they'd look like an over inflated tyre even though they aren't. Safety wise I would t worry, but for visual reasons I wouldn't.

The tyre calculator that was linked to suggests a minimum wheel width of 9j for those tyres.

Yes, you need 9j, 255 is the widest you can go on 8.5j, and even that's pushing it a bit.. While it's certainly true that you can physically fit a 265 tyre most fitters would likely refuse to fit it.

Pete

Shame they don't make pilot super sport in 255/40 otherwise I'd have them, not going to drop down to a 40 on the 245 size though, looks like standard size it will have to be

I ran 40 profile MPS3s a while back with standard widths and it was fine. maybe slightly less compliance but it was very hard to tell