Guide: Motorised Number Plate holder

marzman

Emmm, is this legal. Aint with a motorbike. Plod finds you have fitted one...hefty fine.

Are we talking about the reg plate or the "middle finger" sign :lol:

Nah, middle finger is a requirement these days for dosy f**kers on our roads.

The drop down plate thing has been used many times on bikes, for let say small infringements with speed. Most plods take a very dim view off it...hence the notion on bikes has fadded, as not worth the hassle and fine.

I imagine bikes use it on the rear though. To avoid speed cameras and being identified if a police car is behind them

Having it on the front for show purposes is a bit different

Was thinking more about fwd facing cameras on bridges over motorways and the likes...

Edited by aidan

My bike plate used to be on with velcro, if it looked like some unwanted attention was turning round or parked at the side of the road, reach round, pull off, stuff in leathers and pin it! ;)

You would likely get more grief for this than merely not displaying a plate at all, plenty of threads over on Pistonheads about plates, not displaying, wrongly spaced lettering, fonts etc It would seem its less of a fine for not displaying than all of the above :)

Can you fit a standard sized numberplate with this kit or does it have to be smaller? im very interested in buying 1

You can fit whatever sized plate you want - as long as you're willing to cut the plastic back plate to suit. I cut mine with a jigsaw and then neatened it with a dremmel.

Can you fit a standard sized numberplate with this kit or does it have to be smaller? im very interested in buying 1

You can fit whatever sized plate you want - as long as you're willing to cut the plastic back plate to suit. I cut mine with a jigsaw and then neatened it with a dremmel.

Thanks mate appreciate it! Looks amazing and great guide!

I imagine bikes use it on the rear though. To avoid speed cameras and being identified if a police car is behind them

Having it on the front for show purposes is a bit different

Was thinking more about fwd facing cameras on bridges over motorways and the likes...

Use common sense, the Show N Go plate is intended for show use, so only retract it when you are at shows or meets.

Driving around with a retracted plate is only ever going to attract unwanted attention.

Just because you can hold a firework and launch it from your hand does not mean it's necessarily a good idea ;)

Just because you can hold a firework and launch it from your hand does not mean it's necessarily a good idea ;)

Now you tell me this!!!!! :blackeye:

:lol:

Edited by Keyser

Hey guys

Just a word of warning about where you place the receiver for these units

Mine was stuck to the crash bar being the bumper, well away from any debris or possible harm....or so I thought

Mine stopped working just before Japfest (typical!!!) and today I found out why

Some water had clearly got into the unit and fried the circuit board inside :(

20130519_143600_zpsc96c55c6.jpg

20130519_143604_zpsdf50bfea.jpg

20130519_143650_zpsdf12db86.jpg

I'll be contacting the manufacturer to get replacement bits so not a huge worry, the motor still works fine when attaching a battery to the terminals. I'm tempted to even hardwire a switch inside the car to the motor rather than having a key fob and a receiver

I didn't get mine through Tarmac, but he's been a great help in giving me details for the manufacturer :thumbs:

So just a word of warning guys, think about where the receiver is, if it's well out of harms way, maybe even consider putting it inside some form of waterproof environment?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Just a word of warning about where you place the receiver for these units

Mine was stuck to the crash bar being the bumper, well away from any debris or possible harm....or so I thought

Mine stopped working just before Japfest (typical!!!) and today I found out why

Some water had clearly got into the unit and fried the circuit board inside :(

20130519_143600_zpsc96c55c6.jpg

20130519_143604_zpsdf50bfea.jpg

20130519_143650_zpsdf12db86.jpg

I'll be contacting the manufacturer to get replacement bits so not a huge worry, the motor still works fine when attaching a battery to the terminals. I'm tempted to even hardwire a switch inside the car to the motor rather than having a key fob and a receiver

I didn't get mine through Tarmac, but he's been a great help in giving me details for the manufacturer :thumbs:

So just a word of warning guys, think about where the receiver is, if it's well out of harms way, maybe even consider putting it inside some form of waterproof environment?

After reading this I thought it was a good idea to maybe seal it up with a thin bit of silicone before putting it on the car. The hole for the led is not water tight so some silicone over that :).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...