My Daughter's New Classic Car

Kev946

It's a bit of a daughter & Father project, but in pretty good condition to start with.

It's a 1969 genuine VW Karmann Cabriolet Beetle. 1500 cc and all original other than the horrible Ford Recaro Seats, which we will be ditching. It also benefits from quite rare Sprint Star wheels and being a US spec the IRS rear suspension.

It was imported from California in 1991, so LHD, but it remains an historic vehicle so tax free. It's also group 4 insurance so great for my 18 year old daughter.

We're off to a VW Show on Sunday at Stanford Hall near Leicester if anyone is interested.

See http://www.stanfordhallvw.co.uk/index.html

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Very lucky girl, but at least this car will hold it's value. In fact once we've sorted a few things it will definately be worth quite a bit more than we paid.

As for RHD. It can be converted easily although the dash is the problem as it's metal, so needs cutting and a new one re-welding in. For now we like the LHD and the fact it's US spec, which to the experts is obvious due to the IRS rear end.

Imported from Cali - hence the good bodywork. Old stuff still looks good with all that sunshine! B)

It looks beautiful, I wanted one when I was young. My first car was a Beetle which I 'Cal-looked' (all the rage at the time) so it was de-chromed, lowered, wheels, I even designed graphics for the side :scare:

Still, I got some chicks with that car :p

:teeth:

Boy does that look COOL!!!

Even Mrs Ming who is not a great fan said how much she liked it and would happily drive it!! Large praise indeed.

The finish looks immaculate so obviously not a 'cheap' but but an investment none the less.

Whats the underside and 'hidden' bodywork like?

Ming the impressed!!

Boy does that look COOL!!!

Even Mrs Ming who is not a great fan said how much she liked it and would happily drive it!! Large praise indeed.

The finish looks immaculate so obviously not a 'cheap' but but an investment none the less.

Whats the underside and 'hidden' bodywork like?

Ming the impressed!!

Totally solid. Basically we need 2 new front seats and a fun interior re-trim, then paint and tidying under the boot & bonnet. Plus some music & speakers. If this all goes well we might invest in a new coat of exterior paint over the winter as it's not mint, but wouldn't need much prep work so hopefully wouldn't cost too much. No roof to paint too...

Mechanically it's great with 12 months MOT too. I drove it back from Ashford in Kent would you believe. 4 hours without stopping too... :scare:

Nice buy Kev, I was a beetle fan for yrs when I was in my teens! My personal fav was pre 1967 with the sloping fenders & lights (Cal look). But this one's bodywork seems to be in good shape & condition. B)

that's very cool Kev. She is lucky! It looks pretty mint. I was offered a hard top in red by a guy at work, it was an SA import - I didn't have anywhere big enough to store it!

Thanks guys.

We took it to Stanford Hall Classic VW Show yesterday. Great day out and managed to get some original US High Back genuine VW seats. They need recovering so the first project wil be a full interior re-trim.

BTW you wouldn't believe how cheap Bug parts are. How about a full interior retrim in any colour you like and with original VW vinyl for £300. That's all seats door panels, rear panels, including restuffing seat bases etc.