Track Helmet

Ken

Looking for a track helmet for occasional use 4-6 times a year. Don't want to continue the hire route.

Can anyone recommend a website/retailer and a helmet make/price to pay for the above use.

Any other thing to look for like SA2010.

Buy the one that fits the best. Go somewhere like GPR or DT and try loads on across the budget spectrum, and buy the one that's the comfiest.

I wanted to spend £1000 on something awesome, but the best one for my head was a £300 jobby. You can get the uber cheapy ones that are around £100 and they're fine, but only if they fit your head. Bell and Arai don't for me, but Sparco are very comfy. For the amount of days you're talking of using it, I'd be setting my budget higher rather than lower, but as always get the one that fits.

Did I mention to buy the one that fits the best yet? ;)

I bought mine from www.lidsdirect.co.uk - provided you don't mind what colour it is - you can find some good deals in the clearance section where they sell reasonable helmets at knockdown prices

You need to know what size you want, though, so go to a good bike shop first, try some and then note what size you need

The reason I say "Don't mind what colour" is the clearance section is all end-of-line stuff, so they may have a 56" in blue but if you wanted a 60" they may only have pink - so you have got to know what size and what compromise you're prepared to make

But - you can get some quite good stuff at very cheap

Go to a local motorbike dealer and try some on would be my suggestion :)

Bike helmets are no good for trackdays. Made for different type of impact, and don't conform to the standards that TDOs require. They may never check (I've never been), but it would be gutting to be turned away from track because of that.

Go to a local motorbike dealer and try some on would be my suggestion :)

Bike helmets are no good for trackdays. Made for different type of impact, and don't conform to the standards that TDOs require. They may never check (I've never been), but it would be gutting to be turned away from track because of that.

Even FIA and Snell approved ones?

Unless of course the track day operators require the helmet to have the collar brace.

SNELL2000, 2005 & 2010 are all currently approved, as is BS6658-A F/R. The current Blue Book warns that SNELL2000 and BS6658-A F/R may be withdrawn, after the 2014 season and the 2015 season respectively.

Nicked from a post on PH as I can never remember the correct codes :lol: As long as it's one of those you'll be fine, even if TDOs suddenly start getting very strict.

Bike helmets are designed for one impact then a slide, car helmets are designed for multiple impacts, plus theres the fire rating to be aware of (will be much lower/non existant in a bike helmet). I personally wouldn't risk it, you've only got one head after all.

Thinking of going to DT at the Wales weekend, only about 15 minutes from the Morton.

I'm planning on going to Demon Tweeks to look at helmets and bucket seats for the mx5 on the Friday as I'll be passing Wrexham on the way to the Moreton.

I've currently got an open faced helmet which isn't really suitable for a convertible.