Slip light

Hamlet

Does anyone know why my slip light keeps coming on. Only seems to happen on the motorway it comes on for a second and I seem to lose grip for a fraction - but only happens occasionally - checked tyre pressure - would it help if I turned traction off ?

Its the traction control kicking in, nothing to worry about at all. RE050's are pretty much as good as tyres get so I doubt replacing them will make much difference, you might need to modulate your right foot when its a bit slippy out instead ;)

Do you have different brand tyres on each wheel?

Are you running stock wheels with the correct tyre sizes?

Front - 225/45/18

Rear - 245/45/18

If not these things are known to cause issues with the traction control.

Or if you running on the stock 17's (Jap import) it should be:

225/50/17 - front

235/50/17 - rear

Its the traction control kicking in, nothing to worry about at all. RE050's are pretty much as good as tyres get so I doubt replacing them will make much difference, you might need to modulate your right foot when its a bit slippy out instead ;)

Lots on here that are not a fan of the RE040 or RE050 (A), can easily light the traction control up like a christmas tree, where as other tyres do not. :)

050A are great, it's the 040s that are **** poor.

But yes, as noted above if the wear between front and back is massively different then you could get these sypmtoms. Or are you running 050A on one axle and 040 on the other? Just because it says Bridgestone on them both, doesn't make them a matching pair :)

Lots on here that are not a fan of the RE040 or RE050 (A), can easily light the traction control up like a christmas tree, where as other tyres do not. :)

As Dan has said, the RE040 and RE050A are poles apart, Ive had both in the same sizes on the came car. RE050's are pretty much as good as tyres get, Ill say it again.

I have also noticed this problem.

I haven't had my Zed long and it's got Bridgestones on the front and Avons on the rear.

The traction control light does display when there is momentary loss of traction, usually from the fronts, usually when crossing white lie markings.

It's a little disconcering at first, but as others have said, it's nothing to worry about.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get the tyres changed all round to Toyo Proxes or Falkens

Can I just intervene slightly here - Ekonas views on mixing tyres are all good and Im not discrediting what he has said but it seems to have lead to an element of paranoia on here - Ridz, if you are running RE050A's and ZZ3's your tyres are already better than what you are looking at replacing them with.

The driver aids function as follows:

Traction control - cuts power to rears - happens when it detects slip ONLY on rear wheels (probably one rotating faster than the other) - this is the TC light that comes on

Stability control - fires brakes on front wheels - happens when the car detects a difference in rotational speed between front and rear wheels - this is the SLIP light that coems on

In both cases assuming you have correctly sized tyres its only loss of traction across the rear axle or relative wheel speed fore and aft that invokes the aids, neither of these are affected by mixing tyres. Theres no "computer" to recalibrate, but the grippier the tyres the less you will see the lights come on.

If youre finding the front brakes are firing unless you are driving like Hamilton its more than likely due to an unexpected difference in rolling radius between front and back i.e. running the wrong sized tyres.

As Dan has said, the RE040 and RE050A are poles apart, Ive had both in the same sizes on the came car. RE050's are pretty much as good as tyres get, Ill say it again.

We'll agree to disagree on that one then. ;):) We all have different driving styles and preference in tyres. :thumbs: Have driven on both a number of times on 350 and 370 and most of us over here don't like them, including my co-pilot that's an ex-international professional rally co-pilot.

Anyway, back to Hamlet's thread.

Im sure its got something to do with changing road surface on motorway,always used to happen to me on a certain slip road since i switched brand it stopped happening, or maybe you hit a slight shinier surface with one wheel and the other wheel is on a better part of grippy road

We'll agree to disagree on that one then. ;):) We all have different driving styles and preference in tyres. :thumbs: Have driven on both a number of times on 350 and 370 and most of us over here don't like them, including my co-pilot that's an ex-international professional rally co-pilot.

Sorry, youre telling me that RE050A's are the same as RE040's? And you're telling me that Falkens and Toyos are better than both?

Mate, thats not opinion, thats rubbish. :lol:

Sorry, you're telling me that RE050A's are the same as RE040's? And you're telling me that Falkens and Toyos are better than both?

Mate, that's not opinion, that's rubbish. :lol:

No, and most definitely no. ;) Was referring to like priced tyres, of which Falken's and Toyo's aren't. RE050A are only slightly less noisy, still average traction for my personal liking on roads over here.