Removal of undertrays as a permanent fix?

Fisherking

Hi Peeps

I am not sure why but I seem to be picking up more dirt and stones in the undertray areas of the Zed (possible theory being the crappy Autogrip tyres I still have on which means tyres more likely to "spin up" and hence fill the trays?).

This seems to be the source of a common "rattling/marbles in a can at 1-2000rpm noise" myself and others have been experienceing (See fix thread here http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/69601-fix-marbles-in-a-can-rattling-noise-when-driving-at-low-rpm-1000-2000/ which does address this issue)

Not being keen to add a monthly chore of removing and cleaning of undertrays to my maintenance schedule I am considering removing the two at the back (one on each side, just in a bit above the rear wheels as seen below) and possibly the one sited between the engine undertray (1) and the exhaust as seen below. However they must be there for a reason but how important are they?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

45198d1278910105-y-pipe-resonator-350z-undercarriage.jpg

Get a zspeed one, it comes with an inspection hatch that you can open and remove stones from. It may be a pain but its better than having a rusty or damaged sump :blush: Never noticed many/any stones in mine before and with the big INGs mouth and being lowered think you may have a problem rather than the undertray. The rad will block any stones from the front hopefully so you may be missing some wheel arch liners/plastic??

It's not the engine under tray that's the problem though it's those two plastic trays before the rear wheels and the one after the engine under tray

That Zed looks terrible underneath!

Don't they all look like this from below?

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2218.jpg

:lol::p

I don't have a problem and have all the shields on that were there when I started maybe the bright colours keep the stones out :shrug:

On the pic above I have done a yellow ring on the trays I refer to. The pic was off internet so I'm sure they are on every Z, as I say this seems to be the source of the rattling "marbles in a can" noise ppl hear when the exhaust at a certain rpm (between 1-2000rpm) causes the gravel trapped to resonate.

350Zunder-carriage_zps26369716.jpg

In all seriousness Keyser if I was to remove them would this cause any harm, particularly the back two? I would leave the engine undertray of course.

Your second photo shows the left rear ones well by the way.

Not sure why this annoying rattling and gravel trap issue seems to be only with some Zeds and not others, weird. Only reason I can think of would be possibly tyres but I'm just guessing tbh

I don't see that they would do any harm, but they put them there for a reason and if you are getting stones and crud in them the stones must be hitting close to them, how many bounced off?

So if you remove them said stones are going to hit metal, the noise won't be there but after a while nor will the paint hen the rust gets in.

Check if they are not just damaged or hanging a bit low.

Performance, safety and MOT I don't see any problems with any if you bin them.

I'll let you decide what you want to do.

I think the general idea of undertrays in the engine is to stop water from splashing the undersides what with the increase in engine electrics lately.

Elsewhere on the car they help to smooth airflow (not a massive factor on a road car but prob helps with fuel economy) but mostly its to stop things, such as stones flying up, chipping into metal and damaging things.

I ran with no front (engine) plastics on my Celica for about 12 months and didn't see any issues, sure it got dirty but nothing bad happened because of it, id say its safe to remove the rears.

I am however curious as to why I don't suffer from this issue though. (however I do seem to have every other "common" zed issue there is ...)

Does the front one not help to support the bumper?

Yeah the front engine one does (number 1 on my pic). Would never contemplate touching this and no need anyway as no probs with this as it seals the underside of the car. The issue is really the back ones either side of the back tyres. I think I will remove them tomorrow tbh