Can anyone help me to choose a replacement central heating boiler?

twobears

It seems that my ancient central heating boiler is in its death throes so I am looking for advice on replacements and hoping that someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction. We have no mains gas here so my choices appear to be either an oil or LPG boiler. Since we already have an oil- fired boiler, a fairly new oil tank and all the relevant pipework I think it would be more sensible to go for an oil boiler again even though I understand that they are more expensive than the LPG ones :thumbdown: I also have to decide whether I want a combi boiler or not. I think I do want to go for this option and ditch the hot water tank if possible but I want to make sure that I am making an informed choice.

I am going to speak to a couple of firms tomorrow but would prefer to arm myself with a bit of unbiased information before I ring them, so if anyone on here can help I would be very grateful. Thanks :teeth:

I should also mention that I had a new bathroom installed a few years ago and the shower has never worked properly. Despite numerous repeat visits by the local firm who installed it, they have never, ever managed to fix it properly and most showers involve either getting out of the shower, sopping wet, to turn the Salamander pump back on because it has stopped the water coming through or asking someone else to wait near the airing cupboard to switch the pump back on every few minutes :rant: I was going to say that having a shower shouldn't involve two people but I am pretty sure that will be taken the wrong way :scare::lol:

I had a Worcester boshe combi boiler fitted about

18 years ago and all I ever had go wrong was a motorised valve which cost £80 fitted.

It's still going strong and I have it serviced every summer.

Worcester very good in my opinion. :thumbs:

Have you considered biomass ? ... not a cheap option but your carbon footprint would be excellent ... and even more expensive would be ground source heat pump and I think you might have enough land to make it viable ...

Hugh, I'm 'financially embarrassed' at the moment, due to sinking all available money into my business, so biomass is out I'm afraid :blush: We haven't got much land really. Keep trying to buy more but no-one wants to sell because it is such good arable land around here :(

Have you considered biomass ? ... not a cheap option but your carbon footprint would be excellent ... and even more expensive would be ground source heat pump and I think you might have enough land to make it viable ...

:lol:

Your carbon foot print would be excellent.

" That made me chuckle"

We all drive Z's. :secret:

• Like 1

Hi

I am a Oil Heating installer, part"P" electrician and licensed for un-vented cylinders.

Worcester are very good but very expensive to purchase. Should it go wrong after warranty it can be very expensive to diagnose PCB faults and Worcester engineers are expensive too.

grant oil boilers are the next best IMHO and a lot less to buy. Good company to deal with if you do have problems ( I have done warranty calls for them previously)

As for Combi or not, the 1st Option is Normal condensing boiler with an unvented cylinder ( gives you mains pressure hot water in large quantities)

2nd Option is keep copper cylinder and use new boiler.

3rd Option is Combi ( I have a Warmflow combi at home but as there are only 2 of us at home now the smaller hot water volume is of no great concern). Combi's are limited in the volume of water they can supply at any 1 time, and for families you may want to consider an unvented cylindet.

Sorry for long post...but you hit on my lifes work as a tradesman. If I can be of any help then PM me and I will willingly talk on phone and help if I can. If your local then estimates/guidance are free to club members.

JohnUKVetteNut