De-cats, silenced or unsilenced?

sunshine

Hello it's been a while since i've posted.

Basically, I want to make my DE sound more aggressive.

Firstly, I chopped the standard airbox and replaced the standard filter with a K&N which created a awesome induction note but completely overpowered the standard exhaust system.

So I fitted a Scorpion system (Y-piece back), which although gives a pleasant tone to the exhaust, the difference is only really noticeable outside the car. I find the volume is still to quiet from inside the car for my liking.

So the next obvious change to make would be replace the catalytic converters.

Now a quick search finds a vast array of silenced and unsilenced pipes.

What I want to know is what are peoples experiences with each?

Am I going to notice any difference in volume with a silenced decat?

Do unsilenced ones sound crap?

I should mention its not a daily commuter, more of a weekend toy, and as you've probably gathered i'm not really concerned with performance gains, so long as it sounds good is all I'm after. Thank you

I've got an aftermarket system but when I fitted my decats it was a lot louder they were unsilenced decats.I got japspeed ones and they fell apart so stay clear of them, horsham developments do some silenced ones quite cheap.

Ive had both silenced and unsilenced japspeeds. The silenced ones take away a tiny bit of drone but to be honest its not reslly noticeable. The unsilenced ones snapped after 3 months and i got them replaced foc. The silenced have now been on for 3 months and when i had them off the other day fitting a wideband uego sensor the silencer insides had melted and broke so no silencer left lol. Il be getting horsham ones next i think

How much louder? Like annoying loud or nice loud?

Quite a lot louder I didn't like it to start with but then got used to it and liked it, the decats made the exhaust sound tinier aswell.

I've got unsilenced h-dev ones with a scorpion exhaust (and very soon Stillen Y pipe), Jez said there wasn't really much difference between the two.

Just ensure after fitting them that you check the connections between the exhaust parts, tightened up fully, as well as checking for any leaks elsewhere with the engine on. My one has a slight leak between the end of the y-pipe and the start of the scorpion exhaust, so it makes an annoying noise at the mo :blush:

http://www.350z-uk.c...rpion-back-box/

Here is a vid with silenced decats.

Sounds nice! B)

Ive had both silenced and unsilenced japspeeds. The silenced ones take away a tiny bit of drone but to be honest its not reslly noticeable. The unsilenced ones snapped after 3 months and i got them replaced foc. The silenced have now been on for 3 months and when i had them off the other day fitting a wideband uego sensor the silencer insides had melted and broke so no silencer left lol. Il be getting horsham ones next i think

This gives me an idea.

What if I buy silenced pipes, try them, then if I decide I still want more noise just remove the insides? Or is that just stupid?