Found this in my sump!

gareth29

I'd be interested to know if anyone could identify the origin of this small piece of alloy I was horrified to find the other day. The edge with the hump in it seems to have been formed by casting, whilst the other long edge is where the break has happened. Machining marks are evident on both sides.

post-18744-0-34870000-1365166052_thumb.jpgpost-18744-0-06481800-1365166617_thumb.jpg

I will add a couple more pics in another post - having problems

OK here we go opening ones online mouth only to stick my foot in it!!!!

The piece of metal in the sump looks like it comes from the mid section/upper sump - the big ally bit that bolts to the bottom of the block and then the sump plate bolts to it.

There are 2 bolts in the middle just behind the sump plate IIRC they are blind bolt holes - meaning that they do not go all the way through the casting - it looks like the top of one of those - this can be done by someone putting the wrong bolt in - i.e. an over length bolt then trying to tighten it all the way up - the result is the inside casting will snap away leaving a shard of ally usually with a small hole on one side and a bulge on the other - something like you have in the picture.

As long as the metal is removed and has not gone through the engine and enough thread is left in the casing simply putting some instant gasket on the replacement bolt should stop and oil leak and not render the casting useless.

Of course I cold be wrong - take the sump of and have a look I would!

P.S Do Not ask how I know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more pics as promised - dont know if it shows up too well but looks curved.

That looks a bit big to be the bit I was talking about, have you ever had any work done on the cam chain? That looks like it could be from the lower part of the front cover, whatever it is I'm sure it's been done by putting the wrong bolt in somewhere.

Problem is to inspect further is an engine out job unless you can see something through the sump when removed.

I said don't ask but lets just say Buster may have put a long bolt in a short hole during an engine build!

@ octet don't worry we can do much more damage to your car :p

more pics as promised - dont know if it shows up too well but looks curved.

That looks a bit big to be the bit I was talking about, have you ever had any work done on the cam chain? That looks like it could be from the lower part of the front cover, whatever it is I'm sure it's been done by putting the wrong bolt in somewhere.

Problem is to inspect further is an engine out job unless you can see something through the sump when removed.

I said don't ask but lets just say Buster may have put a long bolt in a short hole during an engine build!

@ octet don't worry we can do much more damage to your car :p

:lol:

Not sure what part you mean keyser but here is a pic if anyone can guess where it may have come from the sump (think of it as where is wally before he puts his shirt and hat on :p

IMG_20130330_175635_zps56188d44.jpg

keyser, the timing chain case is totally intact - its off atm cos i'm replacing the exhaust cam - see "intake backfire"

i was thinking it may from the bottom of a piston skirt, but i dont know the thickness of that bit

Yes mate - I just looked at the second set of pics on the PC - the bad news is it looks about the right thickness to be from a piston skirt :scare:

If you can't see anything with the torch I think your gonna have to drop the engine and have a look - you can't not know where that came from as in carry on running the engine when big lumps of unknown metal have been found in the sump - it is possible there is more futher back.

Hope you find it easily mate :thumbs:

had a good look up inside the sump, couldnt feel or see any more debris or see any damage, nor is there any damage in the area where the cam snapped.

so, i'm just going to bolt it back together and hope for the best!

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure i've found the source of this piece. There are some "fins" on the base of the alloy sump - they may be vanes to guide oil flow. Anyway, i spotted them whilst looking at the "attacking the timing chain" post on 350z tech and it looks like part of it has broken off somehow.

Cant be that important anyway, cos it going like a train! :teeth: