Tax Dilemma! What am I supposed to do??

Louisa911

If I just leave it though, surely I'll get an automatic fine if its untaxed and not on SORN? I don't see a way around this :wacko:

You wont get nothing as the v5 is in the previous owners name. As soon as its in your name you can then choose to SORN or tax it online.

At least you know next time, to get the garage to tax it for you. :thumbs:

It's a gamble, police don't enforce tax anymore - it's normally local council. However if you go through an ANPR you could get a fine in the post for driving without tax or a traffic cop could feel obliged to stop you if you ping up in one of their cars. Sounds lose/lose to me...

I went past a road tax inspection point last month, camera setup and several traffic police in operation. They were pulling loads of cars.

I got done without tax several years back...probably 8. My v5 hadn't come through after lengthy delays and the post office wouldn't accept the green slip for another 6 months tax despite all the other documentation to prove otherwise. i thought my v5 would be delivered while away on holiday so was happy to leave it parked. I'd been getting lifts to and from work which was fine, but I needed to get some supplies we had forgotten. My wife was delayed at work and wouldn't be back in time so I nipped out in my car to get to the shops in time....pulled and fined, just my luck.

It is a gamble and the police will just issue the fine as it is then a civil matter, no arguments.

not insurance not sure about mot as its all linked on there computer so might be ok does the garage have the tax reminder if they do then no you wont need to if they dont maybe the mot unless post office will take photo copy as they just need to scan bar code on it and should still scan but need to ask

We cant tax vehicles using our trade plates. All they do is act as tax for the vehicle they are on.

you are in a pickle really. I would probably ask the garage to sort it before you drop it back on their forecourt.

you might also find the V5 goes back to the previous owner first and not the garage. All depends on how they filled in the paperwork. Again best to clarify with the garage how they did it!

Worth a punt tbh! If not all the documentation will be going to the previous owner and it'd be down to them to forward it all onto you. So long as you can prove you are now the legal owner you should be able to take registered keepers status.

I would push the garage to supply you with a hire car as a replacement while they get it sorted. They never should have let it leave the forecourt like it has IMO. Technically your car is not able to be on the road so you cant drive, thats down to them selling the car to you like that in the first place.

After a call to the owner, he said he had left the V5 and tax renewal at the garage a couple of days ago (they hadn't called him to let him know it'd been sold.....! and he had been away)

So called the garage, who then proceeded to find said documents on the desk and promptly filled out the green slip and new details and are going to post it to me tonight. Fingers crossed I don't get caught before then. Figured that if the automatic fine system spots me on the database it'll go to the previous owner anyway as he's the one on the V5. HOPEFULLY sorted if this damn slip arrives soon......

A friend told me to try a different post office, wonder if its worth going there to try after work? Its 10 miles away but apparently the lady there is a lot less 'wannabe police officer'

Worth a punt tbh! If not all the documentation will be going to the previous owner and it'd be down to them to forward it all onto you. So long as you can prove you are now the legal owner you should be able to take registered keepers status.

I would push the garage to supply you with a hire car as a replacement while they get it sorted. They never should have let it leave the forecourt like it has IMO. Technically your car is not able to be on the road so you cant drive, thats down to them selling the car to you like that in the first place.

I like the sound of this.

They certainly sounded a bit panicked when I pointed out they probably have some documents in that office somewhere and found them as we spoke. Good job my Zed is worth all this stress! Shame I now can't drive it for a couple of days. Am I ok to drive it until the 5th without displaying the disk? Guessing not.

you might also find the V5 goes back to the previous owner first and not the garage. All depends on how they filled in the

paperwork. Again best to clarify with the garage how they did it!

How the garage handled this when I part ex`d my last car with a private plate is that the garage sent all the paperwork off. The new v5 came through to me with the cars original number plate on. The tax disc & the mot with the new reg number on actually went to the garage. I then took the v5 to the garage, swapped it for the tax disc so I could then sent it off and do a refund.

The garage forwarded the v5 & new MOT to the garage selling my old car so they had all the correct paperwork.

Remember v5 isnt proof of ownership, so i guess technically the garage can sell you the car without the v5, saying they will forward it on.