Who can figure this out? Money to who can!

leightonjames

Hi everyone,

I've got a bit of a problem! I have no power to my sub and four cut wires behind the head unit! I'm guessing this will be fairly simple for someone who knows what they are doing, but to me it's impossible! So..I'll chuck some money to whoever can help me out :)

So, there's two things I want to get out of this;

1) Find out if my Z has standard wiring or if the red and black wires are entirely new and have been put in by somebody, at some point!

2) Gain power to my subwoofer (standard bose)

I'll start with some pictures:

1) Here's one of the original bose connections - no problems here!

1-25.jpg

2) Here's a second original bose connection - no problems here also!

2-15.jpg

3) Here's where the problem lies! Four wires have been cut and i can't see where from or what for, any info would be greatly appreciated! Why would they do this? Am i right in thinking this is why my sub has no power?

3-14.jpg

4) Here's the black and red wiring that comes from the drivers side (This is labelled up for front-left, front-right, back-left and back-right and is now what plugs directly into my head unit) All three of the original bose plugs don't go into my head unit at all!

4-9.jpg

5) This describes my last point - Also notice another cable which has been cut - the green one

5-10.jpg

6) This is the connection for my pioneer. All of that cabling into this little dude, and straight to the head unit

6-8.jpg

7) and this is just my aerial - but what's the extra green cable about?

7-8.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Leighton

Bottom picture Green and White is the power wire to the Antenna Amp. This is probably fed off a blue wire from your head unit which is typically the remote power wire for AMP's. this gives you signal on the radio, without it it will be pretty poor!

Your red and black wires are where someone has run new feeds to the speakers. The cut wires probably are the original speaker wires and other bose related which are no longer used which will be the source of your lack of power issue!

Seeing that you have a Pioneer HU, does reading this guide in any way help you out?

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=18925

It helped me when I was wiring up mine, perhaps its worth going back to the start and removing any non Nissan/Bose wiring and starting from scratch.

srobriens guide helped me to wire up from scratch and I'm as good at wiring as being a horse whisperer (last horse I was close too kicked out at me when I was a kid...)

Edited by BulletMagnet

3rd Pic the Blue and white wire is the wake up to the Bose amp so it may not be firing up - unless it's got a new feed its the other end of that wire that matters.

Some one has cut n shut a HU in at some point - could easily be neatened up and rewired just needs some time and a bit of detective work on what is going where now :thumbs:

Dunno if your near me, be happy to take a look for you.

wow, what a fantastic response! Thank you everyone!!

So, I've just turned good friday into angry friday and spent the entire day mucking around, and getting absolutely nowhere!

For those asking I am based in Bristol, so don't know if that helps? Awesome if any of you are nearby!

I wonder if there is any way of wiring the sub with a seperate cable, in the same way that the previous guy wired in all of the speakers seperately? Would perhaps be easier than rewiring everything back to the original setup!

I guess it's worth me taking one of the speakers out and checking what's left as it could just be a case of plugging them all back in to the original wiring? Still beats me why they would go to all of the time and expense of independently wiring all speakers, rather than a simple ISO adaptor? Were the clueless or something!?

Thanks again everyone, what a great lot you are!

Leighton

Use this thread to work out the wires......

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/14773-got-the-headunit-out-but-what-is-this-connection/

Looks like who ever did it cut corners as they didn't want to pay for the plug and play loom. I would start over by reconnecting all wires where they've been cut and also check that the speakers are using the factory wiring not the red and black stuff you have there.