ahhhhh this boot is driving me nuts

Toad

ok changed strutts sgs one's and it stays open, but still wont clear so need two hands to get it started, so tried two rubber washers each side in springs and 2 pennies, works for a bit but gets worse over time - i think the rubber washers get compressed and don't want to take them out as painwork gets damaged with just pennies, so have just taken the weight out and still need to press twice and it's 50/50 if it clears enough to open or not so can lift with one hand, so what's left - new springs ?

Are you guys referring to the "double opening" issue (i.e. that the tailgate pops on the first press, but doesn't clear the latch). I'd seen on the common issues thread that you could just pad it out with a bit of foam to solve the issue. I'll also be intrigued if new springs solve it, as both of mine have exhibited this issue, and it is annoying!

Indeed, ive had new struts a while as the boot kept falling down :S. But ive just replaced the springs with new ones from the caped one and its not helped at all. Old ones had foam filling them and that didn't do it either. May have to try and remove the weight and see.

What spoiler do you have?

I had this issue with the Nismo v1 spoiler and added 3p in each spring wrapped in insulation tap - still got the weight in and on original struts. Then I gumm'ed the spring rubbers hoping they don't damage the paint work and all is good so far.

Another trick is to use sticky back foam cut in circles on the underneath where the springs land. They cushion the springs and though over time will wear, a sheet of this sticky foam will last a while to just replace when/if. Used to do this on some of my previous cars to make sure the paintwork never got damaged.

Weird madhatter, I was just thinking about this to give my boot release a little boost and protect the paint. Did a quick look for these on the 3M website, found some promising items in the "bumpon" section, but they come in packs of 3000!

Anyone want 2998, 50p each. ;-)

Weird madhatter, I was just thinking about this to give my boot release a little boost and protect the paint. Did a quick look for these on the 3M website, found some promising items in the "bumpon" section, but they come in packs of 3000!

Anyone want 2998, 50p each. ;-)

Tight bugger!

Changed the plan to some sort of self-adhesive 32mm x 6mm neoprene strip, assuming it's not a total omnishambles from e-bay, I'll gladly punt the remaining 9.5 meters (must allow for repeated ****-ups) on to anyone who wants, gratis.

sigh new springs arrived put in car and they didn't make a scrap of difference - that's weight removed strutts and spring replaced now - complete and utter waste of money, very pi**ed off with the design of this boot

sigh new springs arrived put in car and they didn't make a scrap of difference - that's weight removed strutts and spring replaced now - complete and utter waste of money, very pi**ed off with the design of this boot

Yeah you'd hope that after spending £100 on parts the thing would work wouldn't you!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I did to mine:

2733E252-3E8C-4761-9503-B504ABA03703-9760-0000289D26EB5C2F_zpsa5840557.jpg

The springs on mine were fine 'til I fitted new SGS gas struts, after which the springs were no longer strong enough to clear the boot latch. The fabled 'penny trick' was only partially successful, so I tried the above method instead.

They're little self-adhesive nipples used by kit car builders and the like, added to the end of the spring. By making the spring assembly 3-4mm longer with this nipple, the spring is compressed more when closing the boot and thus the additional pre-load helps to pop the boot open properly. Took all of 20 seconds to fit, and worked a treat.

Edited by amstrange1
  • Like 2

There's boot loads of adhesive rubber feet on ebay. I nearly bought a batch but went for some adhesive Kevlar to stick to the "landing pad" instead. If that fails ill be feeting up as the next ploy.