Weird wear on tyres...

buckmoy

Hiya

Getting some odd wear patterns on both my rears (Standard potenzas on RAYS, no track action just lots of motorway miles)

_____x__ __x_____

Looking at the back of the car, the x marks where I can almost see the steel re-inforced banding stuff they're so worn.

..tread still totally ok on the visible sides of the tyre.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J

thanks for the hints - checked the tyre pressures though and they're bang on.

have taken some pics and will post shortly.

maybe its an alignment thing. The wear is more like:

_____x x_____

right on the inside edge of the tyre..

nackers. :headhurt:

J

The wear is more like:

_____x x_____

right on the inside edge of the tyre..

J

If in understand you correctly then its not the centre of your tyres (which is typically over inflation). Nor is it the outboard edge of your tyres (typically a result of hard cornering sometimes in combination with lower pressure, more common at the front end).

As trev says, sounds like you have been hooning it! The camber on the wheels means that the outside tyre goes flatter when your corner and the inside tyre rolls onto its edge and takes a real battering as a result. I had the same effect on my previous car. Measuring the depth across the tyre and it appeared legal all the way, but stick your head under the car to see the inside corner and it was down to the bead exactly as you describe.

Your alignment is probably right on the money, would probably require some mechanical changes to eliminate this (stiffer roll bar/dampers) or you could try *increasing* the rear tyre pressures. Clearly this set of tyres need replacing anyway but it might make your next set last a bit longer (this is coming from a man who eats a set of Bridgestones in 7500 miles!).

All of the above will result in less grip at the backend though, stiffening the back will make the car looser and you will get less camber thrust and the same will be true of increased pressures. but it will corner flatter.... but probably not faster.

The Zed does seem to be a good compromise between compliance, grip and predictable handling.

hey - yes thanks for the post.

seems my lo-fi graphix have left a little too much to interpretation (save bandwidth save the planet tho)

yep its the inside edge of the tyre. and yep I have been caning it a bit. sounds normal then.

falkens on order.

thanks for help

• 2 weeks later...

hmm

As I was mentioning before...the wear on my back tyres.

489706653_5fe5663bb5.jpg

This is the left rear. you are looking at the back of it, so the left is the outside.

the right rear was EXACTLY the same, even so I had 4 wheel alignment done after having some (lovely) falken 452s put on. It was spot on.

This can't be normal - looks as though I've been carting a horse round in the boot for 10k miles.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that this type of wear can be the result of hard acceleration in the lower gears. When you boot it, the rear sits down and the back tyres adopt a negative camber which is why the outer edges are not as worn as the rest of the tyre. That's my opinion anyway :)

I think I would keep a very close eye on the new tyres and at the 1st sign of the same wear happening consider adding .25 or even .5 degrees of camber. Bottom line is if the car is right and the tyres are right then it comes down to your driving style. Standing the tyres up to counteract this pattern may well be a cheap fix. The other way is uprated suspension etc which might ruin the ride at the cost of handling and is likely to cost some.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any ideas why my front drivers side RE040 is wearing badly on the outside?

I would initially assume that the camber needs adjusting in slightly, but I didn't think the camber was adjustable on the front of the 350Z?

Maybe it's negative toe out on that side?

I'm thinking of getting Falken 452 and a full alignment anyway, but not sure wat can really be adjusted on the Z other than toe?