Vertical scratches on windows can they be removed

Jmanji

My 350z has lots of vertical scratches on the drivers and a few on the passengers windows, it's quite noticeable and I'm thinking it could be the rubbers either side of the glass so pulled the windows down and wiped a cloth over them, they were filthy.

Can these be polished out or do I need to replace the window? Was thinking could tint but it's on the outer glass, could not find a thread on the search box related to this so posted this.

Thx

It depends how deep the scratches are, if you can feel them with your finger nail then it's too deep to polish out. However, if it's anything like my previous car which is quite common with frameless windows, they're caused by the winding mechanism (the brushes get clogged up with crap and scratch the glass every time you wind the window up or down - I'm assuming it's pretty much the height of the window, from the very bottom to a couple of inches from the top and about an inch or so wide?) so the scratches unlikely to be that deep, but they will come back if you don't clean the brushes too, which is a door card off job).

To polish them out you'll ideally need a machine polisher, rayon or felt pads and cerium oxide. It's quite a messy process, so cover any trim/paintwork. Work in small areas and keep the area wet otherwise you'll do more damage. Be warned though, it'll take a fair bit of time.

There are some kits designed specifically for this - CarPro Ceri Glass comes to mind but I've never used that but there's a very good review here; http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243434

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread, when i wind my windows up and down there is an awful grating sound and i have the same vertical scratches on my windows.

I'll clean the rubbers this weekend if it's warm enough and see what products i have lying around to tackle the scratches

Jon

edit: i'll get the door card of this weekend

Edited by Pnthrblkzs

Sounds like a bigger job now,having to remove the door cards is probably a fiddly job?

I'm thinking once off they never go back the same,, clips etc.

This sounds like it could be a common fault with 350zs.

One of mine is quite bad from an episode of Sahara rain. I was half asleep when I got in the car and just wound the window down to clear the water off not realising the door rubber was covered in sand.... The noise made me cringe.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll clean the rubbers this weekend

Use a small finger nail brush and an old tooth brush. And I am now going to swear..... some fairy liquid. :scare: .

Get some detailing brushes (off Tim...other traders are available :lol: ) and brush with normal shampoo every wash.

If you think about it the rubber is a ledge that catches dust and crapp.