new vs old

jaffers

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice, Iv'e been after a Z now for nearly TWO years! and keep holding back. It's got to a stage now where i'm thinking i'll be driving the family TDI all my life!! :lol:

This whole Z craze started when my mate bought one a few years ago. He has an 06 GT model and its only done 45k.

Now I have driven it a few times and it really is something special and i would say not one but two steps up from my civic which was very quick. (iv'e already read the Z and EP3 thread)

Now recently i went to test drive one not too far away it was and 03 with 93k on the clock and i have to say i was disappointed! The difference in power from my friends was toooo much! It just wasn't in the same league.

I dont have the cash to splash out and buy an 05 with 50k, so im going to have to stick to something a bit older.

My question is, is it the case then that all 2003-2004 350z with about 100k on the clock start to lose power or was that maybe just a one-off??

I have seen one, its a bit far away but it has full NISSAN service history, could that mean the car has been looked after (it has done 100k)and wont be THAT much slower than my friends 06??

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by jaffers

Hi Whackywill,

Thanks for the reply.But isnt the difference in an 03 and 06 20bhp anyway?! my mates was not modded, not in the least. And i know he doesn't even use Tesco's super unleaded.

It would drive me nuts if i bought a Z and then realised it wasn't just quick enough compared to others.

Edited by jaffers

The older car had more torque, the newer one more power but the difference isnt that noticeable. Service history in my experience rarely has much effect on power.

TBH if you want to be fast you are better off making sure you've got decent tyres and a decent driver than worrying about 10hp.

Where abouts are you maybe a couple off members could meet you and get a better idea before wasting time traveling to see others or get your mate to a meet and you will have more than one car to compare

The older car had more torque, the newer one more power but the difference isnt that noticeable. Service history in my experience rarely has much effect on power.

ok thanks for that info.

TBH if you want to be fast you are better off making sure you've got decent tyres and a decent driver than worrying about 10hp.

I see what you mean, im no stranger to fast cars its just the one drove felt very underpowered.

Perhaps the one you test drove was not well maintained

Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Where abouts are you maybe a couple off members could meet you and get a better idea before wasting time traveling to see others or get your mate to a meet and you will have more than one car to compare

ok KC, ill send you a pm.

[quote name=flexib' timesta :wacko: mp='1362314953' post='1018985]

Keyser's will probably give you a good idea of power available, the only mods he's done are paint it green but seems pretty quick.

Trouble is he had to put 3 ton of Red Lead on 1st to stop the sea salt turning it into a Freddy Flintstone car..

He's running about 276 I reckon!