Heated Windscreen - anyone added one?

jonathan73

Guys

One of the benefits of running a fleet of 40+ vehicles is mechanics and windscreen guys are reasonably cheap.... My windscreen guy could supply a heated windscreen BUT my mechanic is a little anxious about wiring it up.

I suggested wiring it to the heated rear switch but he was concerned about the fuse capability. OK, put a bigger fuse in. Then what about the wiring - will it take the extra current?

So I thought I'd ask you guys..... It'd be a nice mod I reckon.

Has anyone noticed the noise the rear heater makes when switching on?

I'd be uncomfortable adding something else to that circuit. Could be wired to a new switch instead.

The Focus has one of these. Was in a rented one for a weekend. Once I spotted the element lines in the glass I found myself focusing in on them for no reason.

Guy

The Focus has one of these. Was in a rented one for a weekend. Once I spotted the element lines in the glass I found myself focusing in on them for no reason.

Guy

Yeah doesn't Ford own the patent on them for a number of years (10 or so) thats why no one else has put similar in the their cars? :dry:

I find I get head aches if I am in a car with them as GC350z finds, my brain focuses on the heater buy is looking beyond them at the road so I get a head-ache.

Regarding the noise when switching it on, its just the sound of a normal 30A relay. Would be interesting to know what sort of power the rear window really pulls.

If you had access to the relay would be really easy to measure using a multimeter. Once you know that you could work out if you could add another one in safely enough

What is the button down on the right hand side of steering column, the button has a windscreen pic with a zig zag line going through. Iv always thought its either heated wing mirrors or heated windscreen? Apologies for ignorance !:wacko:

What is the button down on the right hand side of steering column, the button has a windscreen pic with a zig zag line going through. Iv always thought its either heated wing mirrors or heated windscreen? Apologies for ignorance !:wacko:

Rickya,

Not sure what your looking at, UK car has two there (and a blank), one for ESP off and one for headlight washers? (but that clearly shows a crappy headlight drawing with a lovely fountain of water going up)...... doesn't look anything like a windscreen?

Are you a JDM car?

The wing mirrors come on when you press the heated rear window element on.

Guy

Yeah doesn't Ford own the patent on them for a number of years (10 or so) thats why no one else has put similar in the their cars? :dry:

BMW is somehow able to fit one to the Mini.

I've had 2 cars with this and I love it. I found that you soon get used to the wires and don't notice them if you drive the car everyday. :thumbs:

have you got a photo Ricky ??

I have something similar on my car , also a jack plug that no one seems to know what it's for ???

P1010001-10.jpg

have you got a photo Ricky ??

I have something similar on my car , also a jack plug that no one seems to know what it's for ???

P1010001-10.jpg

But where is the windscreen there? I can see the door mirror pic which i'm assuming is for auto mirror closing seeing as you have a JDM?

Is the Jack plug for your in car hearing aid Tim? :p;)

That jack plug looks very similar to an older stye immobiliser design whereby you had to touch a fob against the contacts withing 30 seconds of entering the car, otherwise it would not start.

Hmmmmm definitely best not to mess about with that then Chris :blush:

I seem to remember the JDM Importer telling me it had heated front windscreen & the symbol does look just like it. I will have to post pics. Also have just noticed that the windscreen has a several filament/element lines running around the black edges of the windscreen???

From left going rightwards: Fog light Switch/ VDC Off Button / Windscreen Heater button?