Resistor help

KyleR

Hi, I'm heading to Maplin shortly to get some resistors to trick the car to think that there are airbags in the seats after changing them. I need 2.2 ohm, 0.25 or 0.5 watt, but I don't understand the jargon on the Maplin site. Could someone with more knowledge than me have a look and point me to them please? :-)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/buy-components/resistors

Thank you!

According to Chris/Keyser and all the US forums, yes.

I know I could just ask there, but its a 60 mile round trip and don't fancy going if they don't have stock so wanted to have a look first. I could also phone, but then I might get a numpty on the other end that understands less than I do, like in currys, halfords etc etc.

Edited by KyleR

Well that would mean that you are not aloud to fit different seats or steering wheel, so I imagine whatever the new regulations are, it'll be along the lines of if fitted it must not be previously deployed or missing. But since the new seats never had airbags, it'll be ok.

I think the new regs say you can't remove a saftey device - so I don't think you can take them out - however if you had cloth seats you never had them and how would the MOT station know what spec your car was when it left the factory?

Just my thoughts on it :)

Glad they worked mate :thumbs:

Keyser - good point, unless the guy knows about the steering buttons, Bose and seat heaters. But our MOT is a little different to the mainland in that we have MOT centres the size of a factory and it's mostly automatic. So possibly less likely the tester would notice.

Seabee - it's actually really easy. I just asked at the counter for 2 x 2.2 ohm 1/4 watt resistors. Chopped off the yellow airbag connectors, stripped some wire and connected the resistor to the 2 wires to complete a circuit and finally wrapped it up on electrical tape. Easy as pie :-)

Hmm is there a way that doesn't involve chopping wires? could I just plug the legs of the resistor into the female airbag plug? Or am I just being stupid lol

No Mate 2 ways without chopping the plug off

Attach the new resistor to a couple of 3" lenghts of wire then -

1. Put crimp on spade connectors on the ends of the 3" wires and plug them in

or

2. Scotch lock the 3" wires onto the origional wires just befor the plug (thats what I did)

either can be removed later :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this, my zed keeps throwing an airbag light, I reset it, it's sweet for a few days then on again, I know the issue is with the under seat plugs. If I squeeze them all then reset its sweet until someone moves the seat then back on.

Might just disconnect them and fire in some resistors until I change seats because it's seriously annoying, I had to reset if 4 times yesterday!!!!!!!

Just reading this, my zed keeps throwing an airbag light, I reset it, it's sweet for a few days then on again, I know the issue is with the under seat plugs. If I squeeze them all then reset its sweet until someone moves the seat then back on.

Might just disconnect them and fire in some resistors until I change seats because it's seriously annoying, I had to reset if 4 times yesterday!!!!!!!

Buy mine, problem gone :D

Buy mine, problem gone :D

Lol it would appear I just did! That'll keep me busy for the rest of the week, really should fit and wire all my audio while I'm at it since its lying in the garage

Yea, just like I really should do the window resets whilst i'm swapping over my chipped window switches for shiny newly painted ones, but I probably won't :lol:

2 identical resistors in series = twice the resistance

2 identical resistors in parallel = half the resistance

Don't think that's what you're asking though?

Remove the yellow plug under the seat and use the resistor to complete the circuit between the two wires that are in the plug on the car side of the loom - This tricks the safety circuit into thinking the airbag is still there stopping the dash flashing an airbag warning light :thumbs: